Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 03:09PM

So many of these missionaries have their direct address on their blog. What do you guys think of sending reverse testimonies and a gift card to this kids? If they post something really depressing maybe we could send them Christmas presents?

I didn't go on a mission so I'm not really sure if this would be something that missionaries would appreciate.

Maybe instead of a reverse testimony we can just let them know we are antonymous admires of their blog and thought they could use a gift card to walmart, mcdonalds, or whatever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: an991 ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 03:16PM

I'm all for the idea. I like it. I may have to do that now....

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 03:41PM

How about putting this in the context of sports? If you have a favorite team, which is a lot more like religion than nationality, would it be helpful to send your rival team's cheerleading squad a card or letter telling them why they should be fans of your team?

However, I am for the idea of sending them gift cards, especially late in their 2 year sentence. I remember missionaries that I met wearing tattered and yellowed shirts and shoes that were falling apart.

But an even better idea might be to send them a gift card for something they can use after they get home. My cousin was 2 years behind "the latest styles" when he returned from a developing country after 2 years. He ended up buying new clothes. How about a gift card that an RM can use after coming home that will help him/her get integrated back in to civilian society.

If you really want to help, send a cheebo chew, an iTunes gift card, or a link to Grinder or Tinder. Sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll will show these poor kids what they are missing and deconvert them faster than any deconversion letter (imnsho).

But since most of these kids going on missions should be just fine economically, why not give to a charity that helps the truly needy, not a religion that is trying to get its hooks on 10% of the income of a day laborer in a developing nation?

T-Bone

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 03:56PM

I really like this idea! Gift cards to Starbucks and Bevmo are always popular.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 04:12PM

David Jason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe instead of a reverse testimony we can just
> let them know we are antonymous admires of their
> blog and thought they could use a gift card to
> walmart, mcdonalds, or whatever.

This. Dump the reverse testimony idea. Most of the missionaries don't want to be there. They are there for a variety of reasons - It is what they have been trained to do from an early age, not wanting to disappoint family, friends, church leaders, etc., obtain that "RM" title so that girlfriend they left behind will stick with them, fear,...many reasons. They are doing what they feel obligated to do. The LAST thing they need is someone dumping on them. They get enough of that every day.

How about just telling them that although you don't agree with their message, you can appreciate and respect their decision to serve. Let them know you are thinking about them, wish them well, and tell them that you are hoping they will be healthy and safe. Throw in a gift card and it is all good.

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 04:34PM

I think that might be a good idea. I think a modified version of your message would work out great. Just letting them know we know missionary work is hard, we don't agree with their message, but hope the best for them anyways.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 08:30PM

Mr. Happy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let them know you are thinking about them, wish them well,
> and tell them that you are hoping they will be
> healthy and safe. Throw in a gift card and it is
> all good.

Gift cards are always good...you know they will be used where they're most needed.

Posted by: smorg ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 09:12PM

It might be a better idea to write the misshies snail mail instead of email. Usually these misshies blogs would have their mission's mailing address posted.

Unless there's been very recent policy change, the missionaries are only allowed an hour of internet time once a week on their P-day. That means they have just enough time to read emails from their family and other missionaries and their MP and maybe firing one big reply back (then a family member would post it on the blog so other family members and friends and the rest of us can see), along with looking up churchy stuff. If a bunch of you start emailing them, you're really cutting into their very limited email-reading time. If you send them snail mail, on the other hand, you aren't taking up their precious online time and there's a better chance of your mail being read and maybe even getting a reply.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.