Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 11:21AM

I don't know if this counts as off topic or not, but what's the proper way to wash, store, and otherwise care for a handmade quilt? We have several that have been gifted to us from various tbm friends and relatives (though I know lots of people quilt, I know). I worry that we're really harsh on them in washing and storing them. Are there things we're supposed to do/not do with them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 11:38PM by rainwriter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 11:36AM

http://museum.msu.edu/glqc/quiltcare.html

Orvus cleanser, hand washing, gentle hand rinsing, lay carefully over a large flat rack or two large flat racks (dont hang to dry) carefully to dry.

Modern, not embellished (no paint, etc), mostly cotton quilts: No ironing, tumble dry low for 5 mins or less inside a large mesh dryer garment bag to fluff, once already fully flat-dry.

If velvet or lace or very old/of historical significance, any specialty fabric or appliqués are there, use extra special care and extreme caution. Consult a professional for quilts if historical significance. A local historical society or museum with a good textiles collection, might be able to refer you to a conservationist who can help you.

Quilting guilds and quilt circles in your area can help you.

Google "American quilter's society" or "quilt care" or "antique textile care".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 11:38AM by bookratt.

Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 11:54AM

Quilter here - agree with the info above, totally reliable source. Orvus "soap" is available at quilt stores or Jo-Ann's but is usually cheaper at the feed store - used for horses.

That being said - I have different "qualities" of quilts at my house - the heirlooms that get the treatment above and the utility quilts that are meant to be loved, get used, and I don't expect them to last forever. Those ones I toss in the washer on gentle with a gentle soap and line dry or dry on low in the dryer if it is humid and rainy and it will never dry anyway.

You can always ask the person who gave you the quilt - they will get the satisfaction of knowing you are loving your quilt and you care about it, and you can get some idea of what they feel you should do. I know some quilters who will not gift a quilt if they think the person will use it for the dog, or on a picnic, where others are hoping to give you a quilt you will enjoy and use.

Bottom line: Snuggle, Cuddle and Feel the Love. At least for me, there is a lot of love and a lot of good thoughts that go into making a quilt for someone.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 01:17PM

Another quilter here,

I agree with the others. The main important things I do is:

Never hang on the line, the weight will break threads.

Always roll instead of fold. Even tho some folding is necessary, unpack quilts and refold and roll every couple of months. It keeps permanent creases from appearing.

Use acid free paper around the quilts so it does not absorb colors or oils from whatever it is packed in.

Those are for the antique and best loved quilts. I am not nearly as kind to the ones I use daily. Those to me are just life quilts and keep me warm at night.

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 01:05PM

Off topic a bit.. but where can I buy a reasonably priced

patchwork quilt for my queen bed? Not just for show but real time

use.. I'd like one like my late grandmother made from the 70's.

I lost mine in divorce and want to replace it. Do I hire it out

or are there quilt stores?

I'm in happy valley btw

thanks

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 01:10PM

My wife and I picked one up from the Amish last year while in the area of Far West. It is very good quality and the right shops will feed the money right back to the quilter.

A quick Google for Amish Quilts shows a lot of hits.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 01:30PM

You could try Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 01:54PM

Etsy, eBay, Ruby Lane, local sewing guild or sewing machine store with classes (owner there may be able to refer); 4H club member, local school's home ec course teacher, quilters club at local library or bookstore. Local seamstress or machine embroidery shop or home sewer who died either on the side may know someone local who makes or sells them.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:05PM

I have been very pleased with the quilts I have purchased from Eddie bauer and some (not all) of the ones from Pottery barn. I love the look of handmade quilts but I am not about to mess with high maintenance care. When my Eddie bauer king size quilt needs to be laundered I take it to the dry cleaners where they gently wash it in a big drum washing machine. It always cleans up nicely.

Ebay sometimes has great deals on pieced quilts. Whole cloth quilts look pieced but are really just machine quilted along designated lines. They are usually cheaper but if they are made out of good material, they can look quite nice and wash up easily & they are usually lighter weight--good for summer.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 02:08PM

Here is what the International Quilt Museum in Lincoln, Nebraska says about cleaning and storing quilts:

http://www.quiltstudy.org/about/care.html

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 06:32PM

These are very nice and stack.
http://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?code=140205&source=froogle&source=PLAGG01&device={device}&network={network}&matchtype={matchtype}&gclid=CO7jtNOPwroCFYg1QgodwUUAsg

I also know people who store them in pillowcases. If you have a guest bed you can layer them and cover with a couple of sheets.

And to all the quilters out there, remember to label your quilts and include washing instructions!

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 06:35PM

For some reason all the "quilts" I see here in the bluegrass area of Kentucky are signs on barns, buildings and etc.... It's some kind of reminder of the crafts tradition and art/craft hoopla that goes on here. I guess for these, you just hose it down to wash off the green moss that seems to grow everywhere in my new humid, moist, damp and soggy home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 06:35PM by rationalist01.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 08:23PM

A thread about quilting on RfM! My life is complete...I thought I was the lone weirdo quilter here.

Ahem. Anyway, if someone has gifted you a homemade quilt, definitely ask them what they recommend. Many quilters, myself included, will use materials and construction that can stand up to modern washing/drying methods. Most quilts were definitely made to be in regular use, so snuggle in 'em, sleep under 'em, and let them fade a bit. They will do all the better for being loved.

Date: October 31, 2013 08:54PM

So did I. Kind of like it was some horrid shred of Molly I should be embarrassed about. I love it. It is my creative outlet. Any Long Arm Quilters out there? I'm one...

Date: October 31, 2013 08:57PM

I'm not a Long Arm quilter but I've always wanted to learn to do that. If only we could have an exmo quilting group! How fun would that be!

Posted by: notinthislifetime ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 10:36PM

I'd so be in for that. Happy valley here. Give a shout out if you're interested...

Date: October 31, 2013 10:41PM

Alas, I'm in the Midwest. Hopefully next year I can go to the Exmo conference. A quilting get-together around that would be awesome.

Date: November 01, 2013 02:10AM

West Coast. Looks like its not in the cards for now. :(

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: November 01, 2013 02:16AM

I was going to be a long armer but woke up without sight in one eye and the other is going. I take my everyday quilt tops to a local long arm lady. I can only sew by touch now. If the thread breaks, I have to wait until I can find someone to thread the needle again.

What kind of machine do you have? There are so many kinds now.

Date: November 01, 2013 02:35AM

I'm so glad you still quilt. My Grandma had macular degeneration and when she moved to assisted living the ladies there would not let her quilt because her work was not up to their standards because she could not see. She never quilted again.

I quilt for a lady with vision problems who does it because she loves it and sometimes things are a little wonky and we just make it work. Because of my Grandma, I'm especially touched that she has me quilt for her.

I sew on an older Bernina 1630 - the older Bernina's came with a needle threader that isn't built into the machine but is dandy for threading the needle and I think if you got a feel for it you could do it with limited/no vision. Maybe try asking a Bernina dealer about it? Mine slides into a holder in the machine casing and is about 1 inch wide by 2-3 inches long. I don't know if they make them anymore because they have totally changed the machines since I got mine.

I longarm with an A-1 on a 14 foot table.

Posted by: notinthislifetime ( )
Date: November 01, 2013 10:57AM

I am gradually going to be in the same boat as you. My machine has a part on it that can thread it. Depending on what kind of machine you have I think you can add one on. I have a Bernina.

I just saw the above post. Mine is a newer Bernina so they definitely make them. My mother was nearly blind and sewed quilts until the very end. She would get frustrated because she couldn't sew as accurately anymore. I would always tell her something doesn't have to be perfect to be meaningful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2013 11:02AM by notinthislifetime.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 08:41PM

Mine is all soft and shreddy with holes so don't ask me.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 10:01PM

I make very utilitarian quilts that I double stitch for durability. Nothing makes me happier than to see a little kid dragging one of my quilts around. Many pillow forts were made with my quilts. When I give someone a quilt I make a point of telling them to use and abuse it, and if it needs repairs, let me know.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 01, 2013 11:28AM

I'm afraid I wrecked my great grandmothers quilt. It's been folded tight in a cedar chest since 1992. It's ugly as fug, and never in a billion years would I ever dream of using it, but it has all the names of all my aunt and uncles and great this that and the other so when my mom died, I found it in the closet and kept it.

I also have my great great great grandfathers Book of Mormon (1880) with his signature in it. (Arza hinckley - GBH relative) suck it tbms! Out of all the thousands of descendants, the evil exmo gay one has it!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.