Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 05:40PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 05:47PM

It looks like Oakes is a little touchy about this letter.

One can read between the lines and see this is far different than the alleged 'christianity' LDS Inc is claiming.

I think it is great that this person is plastering this letter on the interwebz. Readers will be able to make up their own minds on the response.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 05:51PM

"Don't you know who I am???"

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:03PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 08:21PM

AND--that is exactly what Boyd Packer said to me when I asked about gays--in a lengthier fashion, but he definitely said, "Do you know who I am?"

Wish I had saved my letter. It was as shocking as this one.

I think my heart stopped reading this one.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 05:55PM

Joseph smith would have put a curse on him and his posterity, even to the third and fourth generations. Then he would have called in his Danite buddies.

Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 05:58PM

I loved it!

Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:02PM

keep more of these coming!

Posted by: wideawake ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:45PM

+1 to both of heat27's posts. way to stand up to these bullies!

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:04PM

Surprised he wrote back. Kudos for getting a response. I bet he would not respond to a letter asking questions on historical problems. He'd likely just have it referred to your bishop.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:07PM

Oaks claims the letter is a "violation of covenants"

Never criticize a leader of the cult even if he is wrong! He said it on the PBS Mormons documentary.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:10PM

Well, add Oak's response as another tbm who demands the right to judge, demean, and spew hatred while demanding that no one question or judge him. typical moron behavior.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:20PM

compare and contrast that letter with this.

"The right to earn a living, the right to stay in your home, the right to be free from violence, these are the priorities of the equal-rights movement,"

"Even in the pursuit of marriage equality, it's about the legal protections that come with a marriage license. Just as the LDS faithful have a fundamental right to get married according to the dictates of their conscience, all Americans should have that right."

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_13552589

But if you are one of the "LDS faithful" you have a fundamental "right" to "covenants" so go talk to your lay leader and stop bothering the champion of religious freedom that I am - the mighty Oaks, er Oz.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:37PM

Oaks letter reads like a threatening letter from an attorney. Wait, it is a threatening letter from an attorney.

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 07:48PM

LOL!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:41PM

If the prophets no longer respond to "I have a question" in the Ensign, what makes us think that Oaks would ever reply to such as this?

I'll bet his assistants do the work and he never see's the "uglies".

I bet that reply is a standard message for the upset member.

Sweet thing how they look you up in the system, state your status and make you ashamed of speaking your mind.

I'll also bet that your SP or whoever your SP would be gets a copy of Oaks reply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2013 06:43PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 12:26AM

Do you really think someone other than Oaks would be this nasty in Oaks name, without his permission? I don't.

Posted by: wideawake ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:49PM

yup looks like a form response indeed. it doesn't even defend or address the comments in Kyle Pederson's letter. Instead of taking a tiny ounce of responsibility, all the blame is put on Kyle Pederson.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:50PM

The truth hurts.

Judging from Oaks' response, the guy is right...Oaks is a bully.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 06:58PM

The key thing for me was Oaks copying the guy's SP on the response letter. He appears to suggest that Kyle should go and meet with his SP (implying voluntary action on his part), but by copying the SP it is really a not-so-veiled admonition for the SP to initiate this meeting, i.e court of love.

I've seen this in the workplace a few times, where someone senior has sent quite an abrupt and harsh email to a much lower ranked worker. As if this wasn't bad enough, they vindictively CC'd it to the individual's line manager and others in the company.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 07:01PM

sherlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've seen this in the workplace a few times, where
> someone senior has sent quite an abrupt and harsh
> email to a much lower ranked worker. As if this
> wasn't bad enough, they vindictively CC'd it to
> the individual's line manager and others in the
> company.

That is exactly what it is. What would Jesus do? That. Special Witness and all...

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 07:04PM

Breach of civilized discourse?
Dal's reference to dealing with Boyd Packer, one of the so-called Lord's anointed, as stage managing a grizzly bear is the epitome of civilized discourse, which he so graciously said behind Boyd's back.

Violation of covenants?
Does he really suggest that speaking ill of the Lord's anointed is a violation of covenants? Dal again is a perfect example of honoring that "covenant" with his stage managing a grizzly bear reference about one of his anointed brethren.

Do as Dal says not as Dal does.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2013 07:05PM by Surrender Dorothy.

Posted by: Cowboy Jesus ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 07:35PM

You know what I'm talking about. Awesome

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 08:15PM

Wow!!!!!! "I urge you to get you life in order"......... translation - how DARE your criticise me, you creatin you!!!!!

What an ego! Where is the love mate? Where is the love???

Posted by: Moron I ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 08:21PM

"It is not right to criticize the leadership, even when the criticism is true".

Dallin H. Oaks

"How conveeenyuunt"
Church Lady

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 08:31PM

Oaks said, "A moral coward is one who is afraid to do what he thinks is right because others will disapprove or laugh."

Like for instance, Gordon Hinckley denying Mormon exaltation doctrine in front of Larry King and a national audience?

Well done, axeldc.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 08:51PM

Hinckley himself. Exhibit A.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 08:34PM

They always go with the company line.
I play it the company way
Wherever the company puts me. There I stay.
My face is a company face
It smiles at exectutives then goes back in place
The company furnitue?
It suits me fine
The company letterhead?
A valentine
Anything I'm against?
Unemployment
My brain is a company brain.
The company washed it
Now I can't complain.
Other prople may not be here.
But I will be here year after year.

Posted by: secular ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 08:57PM

+1

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 09:04PM

He is a total dick. I mean he claims to be an apostle of Jesus Christ and he writes that????

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 09:43PM

What the fvck ?????

How is this letter a violation of covenants?

Oaks and his ilk are suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Posted by: BoMSkeptic ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 01:05AM

@Claire

I think somewhere along the line it says you will "uphold the leaders of the church in righteousness blah blah blah"

Something like that.

But they are kidding themselves if they think they can push BS like prop 8 and have the respectable members of this church go along with it because "they are called of god"

I dong believe morals come from God but I do believe all mentally healthy humans have a common basis of respect and equality when if comes to human rights.

The OP of the letter was spot on. Much respect to him.

And I find it funny how Oaks thinks he can give a quick whip lash response and have a flimsy member redirect his response towards the SP in order to "get his life in order."

Thats his agenda. To assert his assumed power and authority.

What Oaks would do well on the other hand would be to redirect his own agenda to something a little less frivolous. THERE WILL come a time when the church has to step down his position on gays, just as it did with Racism.

His words may help to de-convert some future soul.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 01:06AM by hypnosisplz.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 01:41AM

... and the Mormon cult has formalized the prohibition in the "covenants" everyone makes when they receive the temple endowment (as apparently Kyle has):

"PETER: A couple will now come to the altar. (Witness couple comes to altar as before.) Brethren and sisters, this couple at the altar represent all of you as if at the altar, and you will be under the same obligations as they will be. We are required to give unto you the Law of the Gospel as contained in the Holy Scriptures; to give unto you also a charge to avoid all lightmindedness, loud laughter, EVIL SPEAKING OF THE LORD'S ANOINTED, the taking of the name of God in vain, and every other unholy and impure practice, and to cause you to receive these by covenant. [emphasis added]

"All arise. (All patrons stand.) Each of you bring your right arm to the square. (this is done.)

"Each of you covenant and promise before God, angels, and these witnesses, that you will observe and keep the Law of the Gospel and this charge as it has been explained to you. Each of you bow your head and say 'yes.'

"PATRONS: Yes."

http://www.i4m.com/think/temples/temple_ceremony.htm

Kyle really struck a nerve, didn't he!?!?!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.