Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 10:57AM

The law firm Zuckerman Spaeder is handling a huge lawsuit which has been discussed here at RfM, charging the church with systematic coverup of sexual abuse, failure to notify authorities, intimidation of witnesses, etc. Behavior that many of us know all too well.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1063249,1063802#msg-1063802

You can read the actual pleadings here:

http://blog.kosnoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013-10-24-Jane-Doe-1-et-al-v-LDS-Berkeley-County-West-Virginia-Civil-Action-Number-13-C-656.pdf

This is a prominent, well-respected East Coast Lawfirm who, apparently, cannot be intimidated by Mormon money, whispered promises of political support, threats, or whatever the hell it is that they do to so effectively stop bad publicity.

This is what U.S. News and World Report had to say about them:

"Zuckerman Spaeder LLP has been ranked nationally in eight practice areas in the third annual U.S. News & World Report “Best Law Firms” rankings, with the firm’s four offices collectively receiving 20 metropolitan “Tier 1” designations in 11 practice areas. Receiving a national ranking were the firm’s practices in Appellate Litigation, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Commercial Litigation, Insurance, Litigation–Bankruptcy, Litigation–Regulatory Enforcement, Litigation–Securities, and Native American Law."

Here's their website

http://www.zuckerman.com/

If you are reading this and have worked hard to recover after Mormon abuse, here is your opportunity to turn the pain you and your children have suffered into a force protecting other families. Change your pain into something good in the world like Mothers Against Drunk Driving Did.

Join me and others who are supporting this legal action.
We always knew this day would come, just like it did for the Catholics. Let's get some of that tithing back in damages!

You can have 100% confidentiality and a prompt reply by emailing the lead attorney, Carl S. Kravitz:

ckravitz@zuckerman.com

Anagrammy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 11:44AM

Is this going to be a class action or something? Can people from outside the US join?

Two weeks ago, the Dutch government published a research report about cults and the cover-up of sexual abuse was mentioned as a point of worry (not specifically about LDS).

If this suit can be joined by people outside the US, I could generate some waves here in the press.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2013 11:48AM by rt.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 11:55AM

Interesting back in my TBM days that we could sit back and grab a bowl of popcorn watching the sex abuse scandals unfold with the catholic church thinking, this kind of stuff would NEVER happen in god's true mormon church.

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 12:07PM

I just forwareded this to the Washington Post National Desk and the Richmond Times Dispatch. I included the following note:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I wanted to make you aware of a battle that is being fought in West Virginia. The Mormon Church needs to be held accountable for its cover-up. For some reason, it is politically incorrect to take on Mormonism, even as the Catholic church, Penn State, etc. are decried for their cover-ups.

http://blog.kosnoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013-10-24-Jane-Doe-1-et-al-v-LDS-Berkeley-County-West-Virginia-Civil-Action-Number-13-C-656.pdf

I hope this will make the news, and I hope your great institution will be part of that.

Sincerely,

RogertheShrubber

------------------------

My last week in the MTC, my "branch president" caressed my buttcheeks during a picture. It made me feel uncomforttable, and I told the "mission president." The mission president told me, essentially, that I could treat this like a confession, and feel at ease now, knowing I had involved the leadership.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 01:25PM

As if you had anything to confess!? This is the same don't-rock-the-boat syndrome that has been spread out for our view by the Catholic hierarchy. Now it is the morg's turn and none too soon.

Posted by: offradar ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 12:09PM

I hope these and future law suits are successful and that it brings some justice to individuals. I also hope the Mormon organisation and their corrupt and lying leaders suffer irreperable damage. What about those of us who have also suffered at the hands of viscious and merciless bishops and SP's? What about the fear of church and divine retribution and the deep psychological damage and trauma suffered on baseless assumptions. The threat to our very livelihoods based on their own abusive prejudice? There are many of who have suffered unjustly at the whims of these priesthood brutes and deserve justice. Tithing was given to a church which has turned out to be a fraudulent organisation. The return of our Tithing would be a good start.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 12:21PM

The only people who win in class action lawsuits are the attorneys.

That said, it will be fun to watch this drama unfold.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 01:20PM

We all win if the morg is forced to reveal its financials.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 03:07PM

I predict a settlement out of court for this very reason. Its been the church's MO for many years. Gotta keep those finanials sacred, not secret, ya know.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 03:19PM

Isn't a class action type lawsuit ideal for forcing them to open their books? They want the highest settlement, and they won't know what that is until they see the numbers.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 01:44AM

It's not just about winning a large sun of money. If you can force the church to fork over large sums of money, even if only the attorneys get paid, that's a win. A lot of the idea is to punish the church financially. They might not care about innocent children. But if you start taking away their money, they'll change their ways.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 01:31PM

The "rough stone rolling" has come to a halt and people can now see and smell it.

It stinketh.

Ana

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 02:22PM

Sadly, the lawsuit won't sway TBM's against the church. They'll simply say the church is perfect, the people are not, and besides, West Virginia isn't anywhere near Utah.

However, if the story gets wide traction, it's one more black eye for the church.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 03:38PM

I agree, this story won't get much media coverage, and if it did, it wouldn't cause a mass exodus of the church. Most mormons expect their leaders not to be perfect. The fact that their leaders sin won't be a huge surprise to them.

However, if this can help prevent any further abuse in the church, then fantastic. I have relatives in the church, and I still love them. They're great people, and the thought of their church leaders taking advantage of them scares me a lot.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 09:40PM

But in this case, it's not just a few local leaders that are in "sin", because in this case and in many others, the COB has sent lawyers across state lines to harass members, buy people off, and cover up the facts of the matters and keep them from public knowledge. This is racketeering and conspiracy to commit federal crimes.

Not only are these federal crimes, they also clearly demonstrate that the top 15 are in this by policy and action. It is not a local leader's sex sin, it is institutional policy crime from the holy prophets, under the direction of the holy son of god. Is the holy son a pedophile? And does he actually condone and promote corporate federal crimes?

Some "Jesus the Holy Son of the Almighty God" the LDS have got themselves there.

Even tbm's will have to take note.

And the exposure that the Catholic Church has received from all the revelations about their pedophilia and coverups have indeed damaged their credibility, even with their faithful members. Donations and attendance at Mass are all way down, they are very concerned. I predict, if this case proceeds to conclusion, this will hurt the LDS church dearly and deeply.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 03:36PM

The thought that innocent mormons are getting abused by their leaders is very upsetting to me. They've done nothing wrong. As a mormon, you place a whole lot of trust into your leaders without question. I hope this abuse can stop. Even though I don't believe in the church, it's unfair that some of the members have to suffer things like this, and they really need to speak up about it.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 04:17PM

"a four year old" - burn in hell MF.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 04:46PM

of course it will all settle.

but the publicity will feel like a public skinning.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 05:05PM

Pew sheep won't even hear about this.

Posted by: MelzWhimzy ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 05:15PM

They will if everyone shares this link on every social networking site they have access to and make it go viral.

http://journal-news.net/page/content.detail/id/600380/Lawsuit-filed-against-church-for-coverup-of-sex-abuse.html

Posted by: Freeme ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 05:30PM

However...if this is a widespread problem that covers multiple states...as we know it does, this COULD cause a major problem for the church. When one card falls, more fall. If we could get traction behind this movement...people and lawyers that can't be bought (not everyone can be--quite sure the Catholic church would have paid just about anything) we could cause a firestorm.

No, this alone won't open the mind of the TBMs...but this with open financial books? This, partnered with other things...and hopefully an October Surprise? Also, imagine how much this could help those poor souls (like me) who are still sitting in church. Suddenly, there is another reason, to pile on the other reasons, creating a tipping point. Which creates momentum with other who want to leave.

And momentum with others who have stories of abuse who need to heal, whose stories need to see the light of day. Please come forward if you have a story to tell. People will stand behind you.

So many, many little grass fires burning. I'd like to be a fly on the wall at the COB.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 06:15PM

This should shake the enablers the most. That's who this suit is going after. The good men who cover up and help the rapists have a steady supply of victims. This would include the parents who swear their perverted little darling would never do something like that, even though he's also had his way with his little sisters.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 10:14PM

I wonder if this lawsuit could sweep in the damages caused by the bishops' interviews of children?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 01:54AM

Me too. I was traumatized by a grown man asking after my 13 year-old wiener.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 11:23PM

Yes, I am wondering about this too. Anyone have any further information about this as well?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 12:04AM

Just guessing here - I doubt it (as part of this case). I do think the interviews could be relevant in some cases. You know, grooming.

I do wonder if there isn't some cause of action against a 50 year old man (and his church) asking sexual questions of a 13 year old boy or girl alone in a room. That just sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 12:04AM by thingsithink.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 03:13AM

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2013 11:17PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 12:05AM

So is this a manifestation of the 'power of discernment'? Is the revelation of these 'prophets', that trumps written scripture as the alleged word of god himself actually manifesting itself in the manner of threats, bribes, and coercion?

Has the holiest of church work now become intricate legal wrangling with purpose of keeping numbers of the lords coffers from becoming public information?

Has the destruction of childrens lives simply a byproduct of the necessity of financial secrecy of the alleged lords annointed?

They say if you want to know about mormonism to ask a mormon.

Well here are some pretty good questions for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 12:06AM by deco.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 01:36AM

Hmmm. This might only serve to reinforce the Mormon persecution complex.

Typically, the Mormon church will avoid discussing this. Some members might not know about it, so it will definitely not get mentioned in church. It might get mentioned by members talking in the hallways, but like I said, it will only serve to make them think they are being persecuted and that the end is near.

"Satan is fighting to keep the gospel from being taught." Nonsense. A few Mormons broke the law, and they are being prosecuted just like any other organization that protects pedophiles.

T-Bone

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.