Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: otedge ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 11:32AM

I've been out of the Mo-Mo loop the last few weeks and will have very limited on-line time due to a work-related situation for the next month or so -- but I don't want to miss anything!

Is there still going to be an October suprise?

I've heard different stories --
1) that it IS still happening in October
2) that it IS still happening, but not till January
3) that it IS still happening, but we don't know when
4) that it IS NOT happening anymore at all
5) that it NEVER WAS happening
6) that it all got blown out of proportion and wasn't as big a deal as others have made it out to be

Can someone give me a legitimate, authorative update? Or direct me to where I can look for some valid info/update on the october surprise?

As I said, my online time has been limited so if I've missed discussion on this, sorry -- I don't see anything on the first 2 pages of RfM.

thx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 12:14PM

Tom Phillips, the annointed one, posted a while back saying that while some people may think it was overhyped, he is working on something HE thinks is pretty "big" and that he thinks he will be able to announce it sometime before the end of October. Apparently he has run into some type of roadblock.

Even if it turns out to be less exciting than the build up and doesn't come out until January, it still sounds as though it will be interesting to hear about.

Good luck to you, anointed one, in your efforts!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 01:59PM

SURPRISE!!!!! IT IS OCTOBER

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 02:00PM

LOL!!!

Posted by: tevainotloggedin ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 02:11PM

:-)

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 02:17PM

The latest word from five days ago was this:

"I am still around, but busy battling 'higher powers'. The latest obstacle is admitted to be 'political'. The church certainly has powerful allies."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 02:31PM

When Joe lost his powerful allies he got himself killed and his followers had to leave the country.

Posted by: otedge ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 05:51PM

kimball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The latest word from five days ago was this:
>
> "I am still around, but busy battling 'higher
> powers'. The latest obstacle is admitted to be
> 'political'. The church certainly has powerful
> allies."

Thanks for this update. I had not seen this posted anywhere.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 06:00PM

I KNEW IT!

The idea that Tom was "too busy" never rang true to me.

I think the church did not want him speaking at the Exmormon Conference because his talk would be posted afterward and they would never be able to influence the Exmormon Foundation to not post it.

Remember John Dehlin's failure to post his four hour interview with Tom? They can bring a bitch to heel pretty quickly when they need to.

Tom not being their bitch, they had to remove their influence by one level and use those they own to bring pressure.

Imagine the book he and Jesus Smith will write if he survives this...

Anagrammy

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 06:54PM

Ana,

I will survive.

It is true I have been extremely busy this month on the matter some have named the 'October Surprise'. Due to this it was impossible for me to attend the Exmo Conference which I dearly wanted to attend. Not just to speak but to meet the wonderful people like yourself, whom I have met on the boards. The obstacles I am facing were quite unexpected, have taken more time and attention and delayed the outcome. Some of those obstacles are 'political' and there have been attempts by highly influential Mormons to stop me.

This is the main, though not the only reason, for me having to bail out of the Conference.

Be assured, however, that I will survive and I will take the fight to them, regardless of what they try. Truth Will Prevail.

Thank you Ana for all the support and help you have given me and so many others.

Tom

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 07:10PM

Take care, I put noting past influential Mormons and their desire to stop you from exposing them.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 07:12PM

Be safe, Big Guy!

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 07:51PM

Good luck Tom! I would love to see the Church brought down a couple of notches even if "the surprise" ends up being relatively small.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 09:52PM

Just GOOD LUCK with everything, whatever it is. All the best.

Posted by: whitethunder ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 09:36AM

Be safe, Tom. We're all rooting for you.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 11:03AM

Remember the episode of Big Love, where the lady goes to the temple for the last time. There is a scene where she went through the veil, giving the handshakes and names, and even says the whole 2nd Token of the Melch. Priesthood thing. The church pitched a fit and threw up various legal obstacles and such, including invoking all the whiny stuff about how "sacred" the temple is to Mormons. (Personally, I would have thought they could claim some intellectual property matter.) In the end, they were powerless to stop it, and the episode was broadcast.

If there are any parallels to be had--and there may be none--I'm thinking that in time Tom can just press on regardless on this issue. Let's all hope that works out to our benefit.

Posted by: Otedge not logged in ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 03:09PM

I remember this very well but I do not recall any "various legal obstacles" and cannot for the life of me figure out what "various legal obstacles" they could even attempt.

Can you fill me in on the "various legal obstacles" they used?

Thx.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 07:43PM

Give it to them Tom. I am hoping that the surprise will be a moment of celebration for all of us. I really respect your writing and your approach to all of the things that you have stood up for.

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 07:57PM

Okay, I'm going to continue to hope that Tom helps to reveal criminalty by the cult to the media and the news will go viral...

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 10:27AM

Unfortunately I don't think whatever it is will go viral. Simply nobody cares about mormons. Mormonism is so irrelevent to most of the world, that even if it turned out Thomas S Monson was a murderer, rapist and a pedophile, I don't think it would get THAT much media coverage. The country I live, most people don't know what a mormon is (most of the ones who do are people that watch South Park).

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 03:10PM

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 09:39PM

Clearly, Tom has pushed some very tender buttons with the church leadership.

The more resistance he gets, the more important his work must be.

Everyone needs and deserves the truth. Thank God there are people like Tom who have the integrity to tell it!

Posted by: stavros ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 11:41PM

Look out your back tithing statements guys- redemption is coming! 30 years wirh interest! Screw these Mormon fu-ks where it really hurts - the Mormon money god.

Posted by: fedshit ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 11:45PM

Look out your back tithing statements guys- redemption is coming! 30 years wirh interest! Screw these Mormon fu-ks where it really hurts - the Mormon money god.

Posted by: Me and She no more. Oy ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 12:10AM

There is another October surprise going ballistic at the moment.

From Johnson. Presentation at conference.

The laws and Napoleon book in 1809.
Captain Kidd and Moroni/ cumorah.
31 pages in no time.

LDS freedom forum.
NOM.

Was enough for my wife and I to chuck it in last Night after reading it
Is there a thread here on it I cant see?

Its blowing peoples minds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2013 04:42PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Anon in UT ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 09:42AM

Tom, your Mormon Stories interview was fantastic. Thank you, thank you for taking a stand, at such tremendous personal cost.

Anon for this
Active but disbelieving member
Lovingly chained to a firm believing spouse
Wasatch Front

Posted by: anonnon ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 12:05PM

Would it be out of line to think the tscc would offer Tom a blank check and a contract to shut him up?

man I hope not, I have so much respect for Tom, not sure I could
resist.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 12:26PM

They have already tried bribery, then threats.

The only thing that will shut me up is their public confession that the church is not true, an offer to refund tithing to members or transfer their assets to a recognised, transparent charity or charities.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 12:34PM

Could you have them direct the bribery to me? I could use it. ;)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 01:02PM

If all these old glorified geezers fell on their own swords of righteousness to do the right thing.

I doubt my own doubts that this could never happen so maybe it could!

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 01:43PM

Thank you for all the effort you are putting into this. I can't wait to hear more.
Is the end of October still feasible for the big reveal, or has it been delayed as some rumors suggest?

Posted by: flyinghigh ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 03:14PM

For the church to avoid criminal proceedings, making a full public statement that the church is not true would be entirely appropriate in the first instance.
But returning all our Tithing is something that would definitely appeal. It would go a long way in helping soothe the anger and the hurt felt, of being exploited by such manipulative conmen for some 30 years of my life.
There has got to be a case to answer for the deep psychological indoctrination that took place, which took control of the way we thought, our decisions and the way we lived our lives. The church systematically took possession of our very minds, where we responded to events only as dictated by them.
Tom, I certainly hope you are successful in your quest for some degree of justice and reparation. They have got away with this appalling abuse for far too long.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 03:28PM

Right on!
I look forward to the day you can safely reveal this whatever it is that is under wraps.
I get a kick out of the negative Nellies around here. Keep on keeping on, man.
If this totally unknown-to-you stranger can help you out at all, I would love to. Fat chance, I know, so count me in as one of the cheerleaders on the sidelines!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 01:46PM

anointedone, I hope you have backed up your research and writing using the 3-2-1 method: 3 copies in at least 2 different formats and at least 1 is securely off site.

You never know.

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 04:22PM

Anointedone,

Those are VERY noble conditions of concealment!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.