Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 08:25PM

http://news.yahoo.com/charges-possible-toppled-ancient-utah-rock-154947899.html

They sound like a bunch of jerks. You'd think they'd tell the teens to avoid the formations rather than take it upon themselves to mess up nature. And then to film it and put it on Facebook? Jeez.

Here's the video they made. Idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFD18BwmJ4

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2013 08:46PM by knotheadusc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 08:42PM

They are idiots.
They live in Highland Utah.
They justify their wrong doing by making up high minded bullsh$t reasoning.

What is the chance they are NOT LDS?

P.S. I love the way Diane Sawyer and crowd made them look as stupid as they probably are. I hope the feds throw the book at them.

Date: October 18, 2013 08:47PM

Yeah, I bet they never guessed their video would end up causing so much trouble. Again... IDIOTS!

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 09:31PM

Yep, they are LDS.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57012279-78/rock-taylor-formation-hall.html.csp?page=1
"Glenn Taylor said Thursday afternoon that he was the man who pushed over the formation, while Dave Hall filmed and Dylan Taylor looked on. According to Taylor, he and Hall are leaders for a local troop of the Boy Scouts of America. Hall added that the men also were acting as Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints youth leaders."

They didn't know the video would cause so much trouble?
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57012279-78/rock-taylor-formation-hall.html.csp?page=2

"The Facebook video received a barrage of praise from the men’s friends.
[...]
When a person warned that the men should remove the video before they go to jail, Hall fired back.

'Nobody’s going to jail,' he wrote. You have a 2,000 lb boulder that is teetering on a 2"[sic] dirt ledge and about ready to fall off on it’s [sic] own. 5 minutes before this video we watched a family with many small children walk right below the rock to take a family photo. We didn’t do anything until they were gone because we didn’t want anyone to get hurt. One gust of wind and that rock was falling whether someone was there or not. ...

'I’ll take my chances with the cops rather then my conscience after hearing a family was crushed to death by a rock I was prompted to move.'"

If it was teetering dangerously, why did it take multiple attempts to knock it over? The dude is of substantial girth and anything perched as precariously as they claim would have toppled over with a nudge.

Their gleeful celebration is repulsive, but then they probably don't believe the formations are more than a few thousand years old. How could they be when Mormon Heavenly Father, et. al., created the earth fewer than 10,000 years ago.

Thanks Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dumb-and-Dumber for letting your Mormon light shine for the world to see.

Date: October 18, 2013 09:47PM

LOL... hilarious post.

Those guys are arrogant as hell. And it would have had to be a really strong wind. The big dude had to push hard to get the boulder to fall.

Those guys ought to be fined big time.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 09:54PM

Think of having to live that life. Ugh.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 10:04PM

small weenies.

Posted by: Goblin Lover (tear/sniff!) ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 10:07PM

This destruction is so sad. And sadder still was the praise they received on Facebook from friends and relatives.

Mormons spend so much of their lives in fantasyland that it makes perfect sense they would see a rock perched upon a pinnacle of earth, perfectly balanced for untold eons of time as an immediate threat to a Mormon youngster that must be rescued from danger. They were possibly picturing themselves as a brave stripling warrior, or maybe a Saturday warrior, or such. Whatever was passing through what passes for their minds it did seem clear they were pretty darn proud of themselves.

"Muscles here saved a little child's life. Saving lives. That's what it's all about. Saving lives." Yes. These people live their entire lives in fantasyland.

Personally, it made me ill to see the video and watch these stupid kids giddy with excitement over the success of their destruction of one of America’s irreplaceable natural wonders. And that’s part of what made it so hard to understand. You would think that the Scouting organization, in Utah of all places, would be one of the first places to teach the young to revere, respect and maintain our natural wonders. If something is found to have become dangerous,it should be noted, fenced, or at a very minimum have a warning sign posted where it’s clearly visible.

One person finally spoke up and told him what they had done would not be viewed as so awesome by thinking Americans. But rather than show even a bit of contrition for the damage their attitude was united in its defiance, "it's just a stupid rock, yo."

There have been so many Mormons in the news lately. An Idaho political hopeful with ten kids on Medicade crusading against all government programs was lambasted for his hypocrisy by Lawrence O’Donnell last night among several other recent stories. All this is really the result of the Mormon isolation bubble created by Brigham Young oh so long ago. Without the scrutiny of outside observation the Mormon culture has evolved into something entirely myopic, self-serving, patently dishonest, woefully destructive (toward anyone or thing not Mormon) and grasping for anything within reach.

As with most Mormon efforts to really help the general public with no expectation of compensation or reward? That's largely well trod fantasy. Mormon gomers wrecking a National Treasure? Yeah, just a symptom. stupid kids giddy with excitement over the success of their destruction of one of America’s irreplaceable natural wonders. And that’s part of what made it so hard to understand. You would think that the Scouting organization, in Utah of all places, would be one of the first places to teach the young to revere, respect and maintain our natural wonders. If something is found to have become dangerous,it should be noted, fenced, or at a very minimum have a warning sign posted where it’s clearly visible.

Are there any sincere Mormon efforts to really help the general public with no expectation of compensation or reward? That's largely a well trod fantasy. Mormon gomers wrecking a National Treasure? Yeah, just a symptom.

Date: October 18, 2013 10:15PM

Very eloquently stated.

I did notice in the article done by the SL Tribune that they were contrite after the fact... probably because they're getting backlash and bad publicity now.

Posted by: (tear/sniff!) ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 10:26PM

Wonderful. Evidence of brain activity after all, even if under the force of public pressure, or more likely embarrassment to lds, Inc. Whatever, at least they're not bragging about publicly anymore. Thanks for the update, knotheadusc.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 11:43PM

+1 Very elegantly stated.

Mormons constantly hear from the Brethren that criticism of Mormons = persecution for their "righteousness." It creates a barrier to self-reflection and inculcates a superior, dismissive attitude. It can be seen in the arrogant reply to the Facebook friend who suggested they delete the video before it got them in legal trouble. They're so busy trumpeting their self-perceived awesomeness, they don't pause to consider the common sense advice.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Tweedles pull the Mormon-card (i.e., you are only pursuing this because you hate all Mormons)?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 06:06PM

I see many good points here. Points made by thinkers.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 10:44PM

My guess is that the story about trying to protect children from a tottering boulder was something they came up with AFTER people started hassling them. It's a case of CYA if ever I saw one. In the video, they don't at ALL look like sober citizens protecting the youth. They look like redneck hooligans (as opposed to nice rednecks who are more intelligent) who are enjoying every minute of their vandalism. They didn't seem at all sorry either. Someone truly concerned and truly mature would have brought the situation up with a park ranger. These guys are idiots. I really hope they throw the book at them. I think the arrogance and stupidity bother me every bit as muc as the actual act of vandalism.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 12:07AM

I dunno, I buy their story. It's rooted in profound ignorance (how do you hike in an area like that without knowing anything about its rock formations?) but I think they basically believed they were doing something useful.

The irony, of course, is that if they really wanted to save children from a looming threat of life crushing doom, they wouldn't be LDS.

Posted by: dontwanttobeanLDSidiot ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 05:01AM

I said the same thing in another post I made CA Girl. Any ADULT who was truly concerned would have brought it up to a park ranger. Clearly these guys shouldn't be BSA leaders. We all know if this was anyone not LDS they would have genuinely apologized by now,(not that they ever would have, because non-LDS people have critical thinking skills)all these guys have to say is 'I'd do it again because I was SOOOO concerned, so concerned we all cheared afterwards.'
I hope they throw the book at them too, I hope the one who pushed it over gets charged with insurance fraud as well.

Posted by: (tear/sniff!) ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 10:33PM

I noticed that some cut and pasting editing really got looped up. Sorry for the choppy reading.

Date: October 18, 2013 11:19PM

This reminds me a bit of the scene in National Lampoon's European Vacation when Clark Griswold knocks over Stonehenge.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 12:13AM

It's a two million year old rock formation. Mormons teach the earth is only a few thousand years old. Now I am not saying they were trying to destroy evidence that conflicted their church, but somewhere in the back of their head they were probably thinking that.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 02:10AM

Lol.. now they just need to dig up all the dinosaur bones and destroy them

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 12:16AM

In 2001, three LDS Boy Scouts tore up footprints from a dinosaur trail and threw them into the water near Vernal (Flaming Gorge?). Their names weren't released and there wasn't any follow up news coverage. Coincidence much?

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 01:29AM

every village has one, Highland, Utah has at least two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2013 01:29AM by erictheex.

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 01:39AM

I am sure they destroyed many goblins. They only shared the biggest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2013 01:41AM by laurel.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 09:04AM

This message is for those rocket surgeons that toppled that rock. Since Mormons are so stupid that they can't figure out the difference between right and wrong. And since Mormons are so stupid that they follow only church instructions. And since Mormons have to have permission to do ANYTHING.

I have a very a nice Mormony project that's wright up the alley of your scout troop. First tell your Bishop and your Steak President that you know where there is some really old graffiti and that you would like your troop to learn civic responsibility. Then purchase a bunch of white paint. And I mean good oil based white paint.

Get your troop together. Explain the clean up project and get it done.

The clean up? You ask. Turns out some couple thousand years ago some natives used the face of sandstones to tell their stories, register their history's leaving a record, and leaving instructions for future generations. Since you are Mormons. And since all Mormons not only know the only correct answers. And since Mormons are the only authorities when it comes world history this should not be a problem.

And besides what do the Native people care? You are the only ones with the right answer. And you even hate on anybody who disagrees with your view. If you and your troop "clean up" that dirty graffiti I'm sure the natives will appreciate the effort.

And this is the best part. Have all those super better Mormon leaders in your community pin what ever badge is earned for this activity on the scouts at like general conference or something.

And now a serious note. Attention Boy Scouts of America. Other Mormon scout troops in the past have destroyed artifacts. I know this is a geological item that was destroyed. I think you guys should look long and hard at why the Boy Scouts is so concerned that it hugs the Mormon culture so hard.

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 11:11AM

of the lack of integrity in tscc, from the top to the bottom.

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 11:22AM

It kills me that storms and heavy wind haven't been able to knock those formations over in millions of years, but these boneheads do it in just minutes. And they pull the "prompting" card to excuse themselves. Wonder what they thing of their amazing gift of discernment now?

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 11:23AM

Blaming the adrenaline for the high-fiving. They'd be better off to stay off the rocks altogether and get a rush from tea or coffee.

Date: October 19, 2013 03:53PM

The plot thickens... The jerk who pushed the rock had just filed a personal injury lawsuit from four years ago. He claims he was "debilitated" by the accident, yet he can push a 2000 pound rock.

http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_7578.shtml

And... now they are claiming they have gotten death threats. These guys are a waste of oxygen.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57016443-78/goblin-park-state-rock.html.csp

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 06:24PM

You people give them too much credit.

This was most likely what was going through their heads.

"Big rock. I wanna kill it. Ooooh this is hard. It fell down. Tee hee."

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 06:28PM

The sad thing is these tbm idiots are teaching the kids that destruction of property is ok, that disrespect is ok, and lying is ok above all else. Hopefully God will have a block fall on the blockhead sometime.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 06:30PM

I think if the Grand Canyon was in Utah it would now be a landfill.

Posted by: anonymomy ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 06:30PM

What was likely going through their heads was, "gobblins?! what the heck, gotta tear down dem evil rocks."

Posted by: Justicar ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 02:50AM

Facebook video - what a nice way of saying, "Hey look at me! I'm committing a felony!!"

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 04:08AM

The way they celebrate in the video seems too happen with MORmONs when they are trying to look cool and hip. The pride they have over what they did is sick.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.