Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 04:36PM

I read where Scientology claims to have 12 Million Members and they have only been around for almost 60 years (1954). TSCC has been around 3 times longer, has about the same number of members and full time missionaries. Seems like TSCC is about 1/3 as effective at bringing in new cult members as Scientology.

No wonder TSCC lies. That is a TOTAL fukked up mess.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 05:35PM

This is such a big lie it even puts the mormons to shame.

From Wiki:

In 2005, the Church of Scientology stated its worldwide membership to be eight million, although that number included people who took only the introductory course and did not continue on.[101] In 2007 a church official claimed 3.5 million members in the United States,[102] but a 2001 survey conducted by the City University of New York found only 55,000 people in the United States who claimed to be Scientologists. Worldwide, some observers believe a reasonable estimate of Scientology's core practicing membership ranges between 100,000 and 200,000, mostly in the U.S., Europe, South Africa and Australia.[103] In 2008, the American Religious Identification Survey found that the number of American Scientologists had dropped to 25,000.[104]

Scientology just lost a huge case in Europe where leaders were indicted for fraud. (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/french-appeals-court-upholds-2009-fraud-conviction-for-countrys-church-of-scientology-branch-8884745.html)

Mormonism, unless there are major reforms, is headed for the same marginalized laughable state within a decade or two IMO. Mormon membership lies aren't as bad, but only off by a factor of four (not 40).

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 05:58PM

All the major commercial cults seem to naturally stabilize at about the same level, 10-15M.
LDS
JW
SDA
Scientology
Is there a natural reason?
Is it because they're similar?
Is it because there's a certain-sized and saturated market niche?
Is it because a negative feedback loop kicks in at a certain critical mass?

As the LDS church passesthe 15M milestone, I'm reminded of Dehlin's graphic that projects a continuing increase in members of record for some time after active membership declines. Does anyone know what the mechanism of that is?

Posted by: Numbers ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 06:58PM

Think about it. Assume there are 15 million members on paper. Assume that most speculation is correct and they don't remove deaths of inactive and resigned people. Assume also that they don't remove people who resign or get excommunicated. That means the number cannot go down unless nobody has their babies bless or baptized and nobody converts.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 06:41PM

Perhaps being under 15 million is such a small number compared to real religions that no one really challenges them on their lies.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 08:01PM

I think Scientology counts as a member anyone who's ever paid for one of their courses. A few sources indicate that actual active membership may be under 100k.

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/10-million-scientologists-where-are-they/

Given that Scientology requires a pretty hefty $$ commitment, I can believe that membership is actually significantly lower than claimed.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 08:14PM

I read a book recently about scientology. Gee, L Ron Hubbard was a troubled man. No WAY I'd become a Scientologist. Now I'm reading about Charles Manson's crazy cult. I won't join one. No one can make me. How do people fall for these people?

Posted by: capitolmoroni ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 12:30AM

Why doesn't scientology just say they have 1 billion members while they are at it. Its just as believable.

Posted by: Tenacious SoB ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 02:01AM

I bear witness and know that L. Ron Hubbard was indeed a profit of Gawd and that his book Dianetics is the most correct work of fiction on the face of the earth. I also know that Scientology is the one true faith and that the spirit of Klatu will audit your engrams away.

I saythisinthenameofhubbardamen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.