Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rexburgtoaz ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:32PM

I've been dealing with some heavy family stuff this morning. So, thought I'd lighten the mood. I'm sure us ladies will have a good laugh. And who am I kidding. The men will too.

Just tell us your first experience buying normal underwear, and not having to wear those ugly garments.

I'll start:
Went to Victoria Secret in the mall. Husband in tow. He was practically giddy, and skipping along.
Sales lady "Okay. What size and style would you like?"
Me: "I'm not sure."
Sales lady "What have you been wearing before now?"
Me: "Ummm. Just white."
Sales lady "Alrighty. Let's spice it up."
Me: Mortified. 30 years old and hadn't bought a thong before.

Ended up spending $200 on thongs, and non-white bras. Yea me!

As for not having to wear garments anymore. Let's just say the hubby is SO happy. And, here in Arizona, the summers are so much more bearable in shorts and tank tops!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:34PM

Not really funny, but I'm still not even sure what kind of underwear I find most comfortable. I was one who was actually comfortable in garments, especially for sleeping. Finding some comfortable tank-top type under shirts to wear to bed was fine, but I had no idea about underwear. I remember thinking "why are these so uncomfortable now? I wore them before garments and didn't mind."

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:41PM

Costco no tag under t shirts ( great collars)
Banana republic boxers ( no pun intended)
Freedom and exhilarating... Feel like I'm in hi school

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 06:00PM

Commando. Seriously the most comfortable.

Posted by: morganizedreligion ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:35PM

dogeatdog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Commando. Seriously the most comfortable.

Haha!! Me too! If I'm wearing a skirt, I wear spanx, lol. I do miss the G bottoms for skirts. LOVE not dealing with G tops. I have a long torso and always had to wear a shade shirt or tank top under everything. I was always self conscious of my g's showing. I was totally ashamed of them. I've been rocking bikinis too, feels soooo validating.

Posted by: Klaire ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 06:46PM

The shopping experience was SO uncomfortable!! I was sort of a closet apostate and I felt like EVERYONE was watching me wondering why I was buying panties. Like they really knew I normally wore garments. LOL I was so sure that I was going to run into someone I know with handfuls of panties and I was trying to think up a real zinger of a story in case I did but they all seemed like they would be even more damning if I said I was buying underwear for another woman. LOL I also swear that there were more guys in the store than were girls at the time! Not that I have anything against guys in underwear stores.. I was just extra self conscious at the time. :)

Date: October 14, 2013 07:14PM

Your post reminded me of what happened in Kohl's before we decided to move on to Victoria Secret. Our home teacher was shopping for men's clothes, next to the underwear and he saw us. I had that "being spied on" feeling too. Talk about a creepy coincidence.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 07:20PM

I feel that way when I put wine in my cart. I feel like I need to hide it under frozen peas and come up with some kind of story just in case. Also worry I will be judged by a cashier and try to look for one who doesn't look LDS. It is silly. Not even a member anymore but feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 07:21PM by snuckafoodberry.

Posted by: Klaire ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 07:26PM

LOL!!! My mom found out that I drink a glass of wine at night before bed, and the liquor store is right off the freeway and on the way to her house. She was driving home one day and thought she saw our car there, so she pulled over and debated about whether or not to go in and see if it was me and drag me out of there. (I'm 28, married with 4 children mind you)
She decided against it but called me instead and asked me if I have a drinking problem... It wasn't even me!! I did inform her that I do shop at the liquor store though, and if she tried to drag me out of there, I wouldn't cooperate. :)

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 07:47PM

Haha! Oh jeez!

Posted by: morganizedreligion ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:40PM

Klaire Wrote:
> LOL!!! My mom found out that I drink a glass of
> wine at night before bed, and the liquor store is
> right off the freeway and on the way to her house.
> She was driving home one day and thought she saw
> our car there, so she pulled over and debated
> about whether or not to go in and see if it was me
> and drag me out of there. (I'm 28, married with 4
> children mind you)
> She decided against it but called me instead and
> asked me if I have a drinking problem... It wasn't
> even me!! I did inform her that I do shop at the
> liquor store though, and if she tried to drag me
> out of there, I wouldn't cooperate. :)
I'm always paranoid to shop at the liquor store in my neighborhood because I'm worried someone will recognize my car lol. I find the most tucked away store so I won't be seen going in or out. It's a hard habit to break feeling the need to hide something that is perfectly normal & not sinful. These are the things that make the church seem cult-like. The psychological conrol.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 07:37PM

I never put on the gees. I always found them hideous when my father strutted around the house wearing nothing else. They were threadbare, and you would get sickening glimpses of his hairy ass through the buttflap. I once saw my mother wearing them and was cured of masturbation for quite some time.

Posted by: anonforthis ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:47PM

Hahaha

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 07:38PM

I was so used to wearing my garments, that I now wear an undershirt and comfy Fruit o' the Looms instead. I leave off the undershirt when wearing a bra, but for just bumming around, I have the undershirt on.

Posted by: NotSoSure ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 08:44PM

Leaving garments was my first act of independence from the church. I shopped at Bealls and TJ Maxx and Marshalls looking for clearance items. Panties are expensive! Actually before I went shopping I called my sister to find out what size to buy--I had no idea.

At the store I was afraid someone would see me and I didn't know how I was going to explain it. Fortunately I wasn't "caught." I was about to leave on an extended trip, and so I packed the new undies and left the garments at home tucked into a bottom drawer. (My daughter and her family live here and I didn't want her to stumble across them.)

When I came back I thought I was pretty suave about my underwear, but then my daughter mentioned about me not wearing garments. Shoot, I thought she wouldn't notice. Oh well, it's better to have it all out in the open.

THEN, I bought my first bottle of alcohol...and the whole thing started all over again. :)

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 08:49PM

Kinda ot, but I was scheduled for surgery last Friday. The hospital called to discuss all the procedures, including what I'm allowed to wear during surgery. When it got to underwear, she said no bras, but you can wear underpants. pause The small kind. pause Not the kind that come to your knees.

I said okay, and thought, who wears shapewear to surgery? Do they have a bunch of cute docs?

It wasn't until hours later that I realized they were saying "no magic undies."

Wow, I really am in the end stages of recovery! :-)

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:02AM

Hahaha! That's amazing. You must live in a Mormon town.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:09PM

Boise. :-)

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 08:56PM

How I remember the day I went to the department store and bought red, coral, pink and black bras! I had been off and on with garments for some time before I finally stopped wearing them. I was also somewhat superstitious and kept a few of the better ones in a drawer for a couple of years. Can't say why--just in case. Maybe if Jesus showed up at 2nd coming wearing garments visible under his white gown?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 08:59PM

Sounds like fun! Congrats on ditching the Gs.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:10PM

I took my garments off at night first because I always hated sleeping in them. Then I got so I only wore them when I knew I'd be around Mormons and finally took them off altogether. But even at that, I got plain white undies to replace them with matching white lacy bras. I'm not sure how I thought that would be better than colors but somehow getting them in white first helped the transition. I thought my so-called TBM hubby would be upset but he seemed pretty happy with the view and every time he'd see me in just a t-shirt and panties he'd grin and call me "cutie underpants." My taking them off wasn't a problem for him after all.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:23PM

Unfortunately I bought several sizes before I found the right size of undies. They don't correspond to your clothing size, apparently.

Date: October 14, 2013 11:04PM

Wow. This has brought up some far-off memories of when I would still wear my garments off and on. I always wondered if friends or family would notice.

Posted by: Mormon-0|Science-1 ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:26AM

So my wife and I are at Target because we'd just made the big garment dump and I needed something to wear...we were still partially going to the Morg finishing up a primary indoctrination calling with a few weeks left, so the members still knew us. Anyway, we're walking to the register to check out and a ward member walks up to say hi and looks right in my cart. Needless to say, we were both called in and released the following Sunday. What a blessing! We've since removed our names completely.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:55AM

I'll tell my wifes story. She was so anxiety ridden when I asked her to get rid of the garments because I thought they were ugly looking and totally un-sexy. She took me to the department store and asked me to keep a look out for mormons while she picked out new undies. I was like WTF am I going to say to them or how shall I warn you? Some kind of secret signal? I got bored after about 20 minutes of playing her lookout man and wandered off into the store. Got a good lecture on the lack of attentiveness I showed by not keeping watch while she bought the normal undies that the rest of the 3 billion people in the world wear everyday without a single shaming thought. So funny.

We laugh about it now and can't believe we ever even wore such a stupid and ridiculous looking underwear.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:04AM

Now she can buy them online. Yay.

If there's someone out there who wants their husband to never touch them, put on garments. It should work most of the time.

Date: October 15, 2013 10:20AM

I kept one last pair of garments for when I'm really mad at my husband.

Totally joking.

Posted by: klaire ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 10:22AM

rexburgtoaz Wrote:
> I kept one last pair of garments for when I'm
> really mad at my husband.
>
> Totally joking.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:09PM

Love it...just to mess with him on Halloween and the odd holiday. You know, show up on a cruise or beach holiday and have those suckers on the first night.

He'd freak:)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:10PM

While I never wore garments, one thing I did do was to get rid of anything white, and now my underwear and bra collection is far more colorful.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:28PM

Mine was such a gradual transition that I don't even remember. I started going partial garmieless the first time I divorced my husband, even though I was still going to church. I'd wear them to church, around family and friends, but started going without them more and more at home, and other places.

Then we remarried and moved to Alabama. I had gotten used to shorts and sleeveless shirts in the summer and wan't going to wear the sweatsack there. But I did for church and church functions. And I didn't want to have to answer questions after coming from Happy Valley to a place where mormons were few and far between.

I can't even remember when I finally totally ditched them but I know it was before I resigned even though I was still going to church. I figured since I'd never been in asking the bishop for a temple recommend, no one had any buisness asking about my undies. But around my mormon neighbors I dressed more conservatively.

However, I went to Victoria's Secret with a friend who did the sudden overnight switch. She was quite good looking too. It was so much fun. At least in Utah you could tell people you were making the switch from the Mormon undies and you hadn't worn the real thing in 25 years and they thought it was great and really helped her and even threw in a pair for free.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:49PM

Her pants to look at her leg. She pulled her pants down and left her garment bottoms up so the nurse asked her what ward she was in.

Nope it's not a cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.