Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:45AM

Way back when I was a TBM I heard the primary kids singing this horrible song "Follow the Prophet." It was such obvious brain washing that it made me physically ill. To this day it conjures images of totalitarian governments like Nazi Germany teaching kids through song to blindly follow orders.

So, lets follow the prophet and:

have sex with other people's spouses;
commit financial fraud on a massive scale with bank;
have sex with minors, lots of minors; and,
lie about all of our sins when we get caught.

That's just a small number of ways we can follow the Prophet Joseph! After all, "he knows the way."

footnote: As Utah and Mormons are the nation's leader in white collar crime, many Mormon's are following Brother Joseph's example in the financial fraud area. They will surely gain salvation at the last day!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 10:35AM

That seriously IS a creepy song. I was talking about the mormon brainwashing of little kids with a friend one day so I found a YouTube video of that song and played it for him. He said the exact same thing, that it reminded him of children of the Nazi regeme.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 11:03AM

Mormons don't commonly phrase that the GAs, including the prophet, are infallible / inerrant (too much like the Pope)... but they believe they are, and would NEVER point out any apparent mis-statement or mistake of the top banana.

When those are pointed out, they were 'Speaking as a man'.

Posted by: emily ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 11:27AM

I was a Sunbeam teacher at the time I decided to leave the church. I remember being in Primary one of the first Sundays after making my decision and the kids sang "Follow the Prophet". Like you Reuben, it made me physically ill. This song that I grew up singing and had no problems with in the past suddenly sounded so creepy. To add to the disturbing scene, the children were asked to stand up and march to the beat of the song while they sang.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 12:10PM

Was anyone else taught multiple verses of the song? I was okay as a child singing the ones about bible prophets, but I always felt so weird singing the ones about "modern prophets". Apparently there are verses now about JS, GBH (and probably TSM too). SO glad I never learned those.
Nowadays, it makes me sick to hear others (especially children) sing that song.

Posted by: Scully ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 12:39PM

Truly awful repetitive brainwashing in all the verses.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 01:06PM

I am old enough that it was never in my primary repertoire, and I only heard it as an adult. I don't know how anyone can listen to it without getting the heebie jeebies.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 01:11PM

When I found out the truth about the church I was in the Primary Presidency and honestly was relieved that a couple months later, they moved DH and I into the nursery. I couldn't keep teaching children what I doubted. In nursery, I could tweek all the lessons to be more like a Christian church and we absolutely, positively didn't sing any songs like Follow the Prophet. We found about 7 that were inoffensive and told the new Primary president we wanted to concentrate on these easy songs first, so they'd learn them by repetition. Fortunately, she thought that was a good idea and let us just sing those songs.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 04:46PM

If you follow the profit you may find him on State st. tipping a few at the local watering hole.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.