Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 02:29PM

I let the girl, who claimed to be a student, give her spiel and then said in my nicest voice "I'm not LDS anymore. Like so many people, I've resigned so I'm not interested in supporting BYU." She very quickly cut me off and said "OK, we'll take your name off our call list" and hung up. Probably afraid I was going to give her too much information for her little co-ed brain to process.

Side note: I haven't technically resigned but I would in a minute if I didn't think it push DH over the edge. He's OK now with our inactive status but formal resignation is an unnecessary move that would unnecessarily upset him. I say I'm not Mormon - I say I'm Episcopalian. That's good enough for me. I don't care what Mormons and their technicalities say. I'm mentally resigned and that is that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 02:45PM

If you quit going, obeying, and paying you are out no matter what they say

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 02:45PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 05:02PM

+1

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 02:55PM

CA Girl,

Always love your posts. And good for you on this one.

An annoying thing about your circumstances (and I can surely understand why you aren't resigning right now) is that TSCC gets to include you (and likely millions of others) in its gushy press releases as it brags about what a spiffy awesome incredible gosh darn amazing growth there is in The One True Church and by golly it proves it's really the One and Only Way to God because man oh man just look at all the people who have signed on proving us the be God's Chosen and Elect People forever. I hate them.

(And I'm curious how you ended up on their call list. If you have mentioned it, I have forgotten. Are you a BYU alumna?

Date: October 12, 2013 04:17PM

Yes - I am BYU graduate. And I do hate that they are able to still count me on their membership rolls but I'm not entirely convinced they don't count those who have formally resigned. They just move your files to sort of a "dead file" room. And as sneaky and dishonest as they are, if I had to bet I would bet that they still count those who have resigned. I think they count everyone who ever was baptized unless they have proof of death or the victim was born more than 110 years ago. I can't prove it but I'd bet they were. Maybe someone else here knows that I'm wrong thought - I'd love to know for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 04:19PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 08:12PM

My guess is that because there's no one to make them accountable for their record keeping + they have a long history of lying = no one (including those who have "officially" resigned) is removed from their look-at-how popular-errrr-true-we-are head count.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 08:13PM by Surrender Dorothy.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 03:42PM

A substantial portion of tithing subsidizes BYU. So, if you were still TBM, you could've said, "I gave at the office. The Bishop's office, that is."

Date: October 12, 2013 04:17PM

Gave at the office - LOVE IT!

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 03:47PM

You could have asked, whats BYU stand for? Bring Your on Undies.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 10:14PM

Like that.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 05:16PM

Didn't someone look at the Canadian finances the church has to publish and determine a large portion goes to BYU? It's a way for the church to get around laws stating the money has to be used on Canadians?

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 08:36PM

I graduated from BYU-Hawaii and they call and email me all the time, even thought I told them to stop. I haven't tried telling them I'm no longer LDS though, maybe that will do it. Trying that next time!

Date: October 12, 2013 09:55PM

Yeah, tell them you don't believe in Mormonism any more and ask them if they have a minute to listen to why Mormonism is a false belief system. That ought to do it. If they don't respect your beliefs, they do fear for theirs. What I thought about doing next time is, before I begin my spiel saying "Did you say your name was Jessica? Jessica, I don't believe in Mormonism any more because of ... but I'll pray for you by name, Jessica that you'll leave Mormonism and find peace and freedom. I'll pray you lose your testimony...."

Now THAT person will take your name off her roster - believe me!

Date: October 12, 2013 10:14PM

Good one. And add that you really don't like having a fake name as well as a real one so take both names off her list.(someone knows that other name)

Date: October 12, 2013 10:38PM

Or, I could say "My temple name is Lois - can you take that off your list too?"

Heads would explode.

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 09:44PM

they use to call me. the last time I told them how horrible a place I thought it was and they have never called again.

Date: October 12, 2013 10:12PM

Way to go....and it is nice you are respecting your hubby.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 10:23AM

I graduated from YBU 30 years ago. I don't ever remember them calling me for money. I never would have even as a TBM. I still get their super glossy, sickly sweet magazine, though. I really need to put an end to that, as I think that it's a waste of a good tree's bark.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 03:07PM

Same here, same timeframe. But thanks to CA girl, if they do call me, I'll have a good response ready.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 10:47AM

BYU used to call me all the time asking for money from the time I gradutated in the 90s. I was getting calls every other month as well as mailers asking for donations even when I asked that I not be contacted so often. Then, about six or seven years ago, I wrote a letter to the editor of a local paper (as a TBM) that criticized a decision made at BYU. I don't know if my letter did it or what, but the calls immediately stopped. BYU hasn't called me asking for money since.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 02:41PM

want2bx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BYU used to call me all the time asking for money
> from the time I gradutated in the 90s. I was
> getting calls every other month as well as mailers
> asking for donations even when I asked that I not
> be contacted so often. Then, about six or seven
> years ago, I wrote a letter to the editor of a
> local paper (as a TBM) that criticized a decision
> made at BYU. I don't know if my letter did it or
> what, but the calls immediately stopped. BYU
> hasn't called me asking for money since.

What was the letter about? Do you still have a copy? Would love to read it!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:02PM

Not sure I should say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 10:22PM by want2bx.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 10:51AM

It was easy to get off the BYU call list just by saying I was no longer a mormon and would not support any cause that encourages cult activity.

Wish that worked with UVU. I feel guilty when they call because I went there partly on scholarship and feel an obligation to help give that chance to other mormon women who thought they had no need or desire for an education in their younger years.

Posted by: Issimmo ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 12:15PM

I got the call last month. I gave BYU my google voice number which gives you the option of recording phone calls. As soon as the nice google lady said this call was being recorded I heard a little shriek from the other side as they hung up the phone. I haven't been called since.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 01:13PM

My alma mater calls me as well. When they do, I ask them a question and tell them that when they give me an answer, I will consider contributing. To date, no one has called me back with the answer to my question.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 01:17PM

Date: October 14, 2013 02:48PM

Well no duh - the fact they called was hardly the point. That I finally had the nerve to tell them I wasn't Mormon and how quick they hung up when I said that was the point.

That's like saying, if I told you a story about getting soaked playing Frisbee with my kids the rain, you replied "It rains everywhere."

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 02:43PM

Aren't the boys co-eds too?
It's quite sexist.

Date: October 14, 2013 02:46PM

I always wondered that myself. If a guy calls, I promise I'll call him a co-ed too.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 03:09PM

I believe boys should be allowed to attend college too :)

In other words "co-ed" is showing its age.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.