Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brokenwings ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:34AM

So I have been back and forth on resigning and have discussed this before here.Decided then that though they really have no power that I still did not want to be a number in any stats they lay claim to.But just never got around to it, no real reason...just busy doing life. But now I am back to it and about to follow though but have had another question come to mind...

I have four children:

oldest son is lost to mormonism and has cut contact with the rest of us.

next in line...son was baptized in the church but was so young when we left that he is in no way interested. I know he would have to send in his own resignation.

But now my two daughters where never baptized are blessed in the church...i have heard the term "children of record" and not sure just what that means. since they were never baptized are they still counted in the number stats, do they have to have names removed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NewPerspective ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:41AM

I've read that if they received a baby blessing they are considered children of record and counted in membership statistics. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 12:42AM by NewPerspective.

Posted by: time2go ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:07AM

3 of my children have only been blessed as babies and each have a record number. My youngest was never blessed and the church has no record of him.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 05:03AM

I was in a bishopric for a short time and helped with the process.
Bishop fills out a blessing certificate for the baby. Clerk enters the ordinance in MIS(member information system).

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 09:13PM

MLS (not MIS) stands for Member and Leader Services. It's the program installed on all church computers that works with their database. (Spent 10 years as a clerk) Technically, once the Child of Record (blessed baby) is over 8 years old, they are no longer a "member of record" and would be considered a convert if they are baptized. The record number they are given is not the same number in the system as regular membership numbers. However, once they are in the system, they remain there (albeit as non-members) unless their names are removed. Even then, their names may still be associated (shown) on active members records (i.e. a non-member child could still show up on the parents records).

https://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?locale=0&vgnextoid=473115b56fe7a110VgnVCM1000003a94610aRCRD

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 05:21AM

That means they show up at the door and want to "teach them" about baptism and attending church. Sometimes they try to catch them when parents aren't around to invite them to church events.

Include all minors who want to resign on your letter of resignation if they've been baptized or blessed.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 04:58PM

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 05:09PM

First off Dont Be Stupid! Your name is never"removed" It is only buried "far from the maddening crowd."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 07:08PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 08:42PM

Date: October 12, 2013 08:00PM

Thank You. You have answered my questions. And No Im Not Stupid...I know quite well it will always be hiding there somewhere. Just do not want to be counted in there stats of current membership and have that letter might post it on my front door if the missorarys ever show up again.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 08:44PM

Go ahead and resign for the children of record. The worst they can say is it wasn't necessary. And if it is necessary to get them off the records, then you are covered. I don't see any downside.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 08:45PM

It's best, from what I have learned, to list everyone's names that are minors and resign their membership.

Name Removal means the names are no longer active in any geographical Ward list.

The LDS Church apparently considers name removal the same as excommunication.

It's their paperwork and how they want to do it is up to them.

Name Removal aka resignation (a word they don't seem to use), in a perfect world, takes you off the radar, completely. Doesn't always happen perfectly however as records are not always kept up to date.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 09:16PM

I would bet that every exmo that has ever had their name removed from the records is still counted among the 15 million.

Date: October 14, 2013 07:29PM

Thank You Brother Jerry and SusieQ. And Im sure your probaly right chump

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.