Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rexburgtoaz ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 05:09PM

My high school friend posted on her Facebook yesterday about her husband's cousin. This cousin had only been out for a month, in Mexico. He was killed when he got touched by a live electrical wire and fell 2 stories to his death, outside of their apt. How can the church expect these 18 year old kids to live in another country, or anywhere, and be safe? They're still kids. They make dumb decisions. This missionary didn't even do anything dumb. He was just living in a bad apartment.The church isn't keeping them safe. There have now been 12 missionaries killed so far this year.

What really got me, was when the article stated he'd "had his call altered to work on the other side of the veil."

The church is lucky nobody sues them. Most members won't, because it'd question their loyalty to the cause.

I feel so bad for his family.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 06:56PM

Seems that crappy living conditions killed the kid, not his own stupidity.
What kind of a shoddy building would have a live wire close by?

The cheap ass Mormon church killed him, just as sure as if they'd pulled a trigger.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 09:02PM

I believe the boy in Mexico was 20... Another boy in California was a young 18 year old.

Posted by: The 1st FreeAtLast ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 09:45PM

My 19-year-old TBM nephew, who's been a mishie in northern California during the past 14 months, have lived in cockroach-infested places due to the meager sum made available by church HQ for accomodation.

A generation ago, the 'true' corporation of Je$u$ Chri$t (the Morg) sent me to terrorism-plagued Peru. My first assigned area was a filthy shantytown on the north side of Lima with piles of garbage in the streets, holes in the ground for toilets, and huts made of mud bricks and/or bits of refuse.

On my flight home, I met a sister mishie returning to NJ who said her last area had streets covered w/ partly-dried sewage.

Countless other missionaries have been put in squalor - and danger. A guy from my stake was sent to impoverished Haiti, the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, where he witnessed a man being burned alive by a gang. The mishie was psychologically traumatized, but LD$ Inc. didn't care, really. God's 'restored' religious-business conglomerate certainly wasn't interested in paying for any psychotherapy for him.

LD$ Inc. has spent billions on buying and developing real estate as well as trading financial securities (reported in Nov./06), but when it comes to providing reasonably decent and safe accomodation for the "army of the Lord", the organization has been shamefully tight-fisted.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 07:04PM

If parents of dead missionaries ever sued TSCC, bye bye TR.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 07:19PM

I wonder if the missionaries have to sign documents relieving the morg of any liability in case of death or injury. Anybody know?

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 04:32PM

Adult of god Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if the missionaries have to sign
> documents relieving the morg of any liability in
> case of death or injury. Anybody know?

They wouldn't necessarily hold up in court.

Posted by: flyinghigh ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 07:24PM

Is there a media link about this. This is extremely tragic news indeed. So very sad to hear of yet another young death because of this abomination of an organisation.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 08:52PM

Here's a link to another article about this death in Mexico and the bicycle-related death in Southern California.

The photo of the boy who died from the electrical shock made me tear up. Just a cute kid with a huge smile who deserved a helluva lot better than to die because the brethren think they need their summer homes more than the missionaries need safe, livable conditions.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865588198/Mormon-missionary-dies-after-being-hit-by-vehicle-in-California.html

Date: October 11, 2013 10:26PM

The Kunz family are wonderful people. I'm very saddened by their loss.

Date: October 12, 2013 04:23PM

Yes, I agree. From everything I've heard about this family. They are really good people.

It is very, very sad for his family.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 03:45PM

I grew up with the Kunzs. Huge extended family across SE Idaho - all of them (the ones I know) truly saints.

The really sad part is the many FB posts about their relative's death..."called to a higher work", "HF needed him on the other side", etc. They don't see it for the tragedy it really is, but rather, almost a blessing. How sick and twisted.

Such a waste.

Also, they would mainline Drano before they'd sue LDS Corp. The Brethren do no wrong in their eyes. Ever. These folks are as TBM as it gets.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 10:34PM

Scroll down you will see that Taylor Wards family has received donations to pay for his funeral. The low life church doesn't even pay for the funeral!!! How low can they go? They are beyond disgusting.

Date: October 11, 2013 11:06PM

I didn't realize that the church doesn't even pay funeral costs. What unadulterated greed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2013 11:06PM by scmd.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 03:59PM

Ahh...ummm.... even the food brought in after the funeral is from donations from the local members, solicited from the Relief Society. Unless it's an investment, the church doesn't part from its money.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 07:58PM

Does TSCC pay for the resulting medical expenses? The 18-year old killed on his bicycle in Southern California was air-lifted to Los Angeles County USC Medical Center. That ain't cheap.

The Brethren's disregard for the value of these young lives is shameful. It reminds me of the movie "Braveheart" and the attitude of "Longshanks" (King Edward I) regarding the men who were in his service.

Longshanks:
"Not the archers. My scouts tell me their archers are miles away and no threat to us. Arrows cost money. Use up the Irish. The dead cost nothing."

If the 15 old men feel any sadness at the loss of these young men (and women), it's not enough sadness for them to spend the money for the missionaries to have better living conditions. If these kids weren't expendable to the Brethren, they would redirect money from their own perqs and comforts to better protect these kids.

It makes no sense that the so-called prophet of God needs a tricked-out car with expensive bells and whistles to protect him from those who might wish him harm. If he's the prophet he claims to be, his God (and his garments) will protect him. His prophetic gifts are all the early-warning-system he needs to protect himself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 07:58PM by Surrender Dorothy.

Posted by: dontwanttobeanLDSidiot ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 07:12AM

Seriously!? What a fucking outrage...these YM VOULENTEER their precious time to a cause they believe in (even if it is unfounded) and they get put in these awful living conditions which are completely unsafe and the church can't even say "sorry, our bad". Then they have the fucking balls to not even pay for the funeral?
This is NOT an 'accidents happen' issue. Judging by the way they won't tell details about the incident, they know it could have been avoided.

What more do people need to start a fucking riot?

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 11:50AM

This is so sad. If the church would just not be so cheap the missionary in Mexico would still be alive. The mission president should have a knowledgeable person who inspects all the apartments for safety hazards before they are rented for the missionaries. But he probably just got some senior couple to go out and do it who have no knowledge about building codes and gave them instructions to find the cheapest places possible so that he can look good to SLC for keeping his budget down. I never realized how much I lucked out by getting sent to Europe. The first apartment I lived in did have some roaches but nothing to terrible. The rest were actually quite nice. Nothing fancy but not unsafe or uncomfortable.

Date: October 12, 2013 04:27PM

My grandparents served a 2 year mission in India, and my Grandma almost died from an infection. Then, she was almost run over by a car towards the end. She said they didn't go anywhere during that last month, so as to make it home okay.

How telling is that.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 04:31PM

The Idaho boy was a relation of my DW. Sad, and clearly a result of allowing young kids who don't have much working knowledge of how the world works to live in dangerous third-world conditions. The news article I read was heavily TBM biased, and was sure to mention a statistical comparison (probably pulled out of the anus) that missionaries are 80 times safer than comparable non-missionary youths.

Date: October 12, 2013 04:41PM

Fuck their statistics.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 06:53PM

Right you are, rex. It may well be that Missionaries have a lower death rate than others their age, but each dead missionary has the church to thank for his being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 07:04PM

The church could be doing a lot more to ensure the safety and welfare of its missionaries. Church authorities could be inspecting apartments, giving bicycle safety courses, providing more cars, etc. Instead, it's business as usual. Church authorities really don't care.

Date: October 14, 2013 07:10PM

What scares me is that my nephew and my little brother will be missionaries in the next 2 years. I hope (no I don't pray anymore) that they'll be aware enough to watch out for danger. I can only imagine what my TBM mom would say to me if I dared to bring up this aspect of missionary work.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 07:17PM

It crazy to think of my bff son who will be going in Juneish of 2015.

I see his bedroom, I hear him talk. I know how responsible he is and isn't.

It is crazy to think they are ready then. even that 1 year helps a whole ton if they can get out of their homes.

So sad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.