Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NewPerspective ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 01:31PM

SO, I did the endowment once and got sealed to my DH and I have only been back once when pressured by my mother to do the initiatory for the dead and for a sealing of a family member.

I have read over the script (or whatever it is) but it makes no sense even now. At the time that I went through I was not exactly in a position to understand anything! I was not even 20 years old! And getting married so mostly I was focused on my fiance. Obviously I think this was very unfair. I remember standing in the circle where they say something like, if you have a problem with anyone in the circle you should sit down. And I didn't know what to do because I had a huge problem with my mother but I went ahead and ignored that... I don't remember anything else!!
I don't really feel that anything I promised is valid, but I'm curious what exactly I missed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 01:41PM

...simply put, you agreed,(covenanted),to give all your time, talents, and money to the Church.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 01:50PM

And you agreed to be obedient to your husband. He's supposed to be obedient to god. To you, he is god.

Basically.

Date: October 10, 2013 01:53PM

This doesn't make any sense to me... my DH is, I suppose, feminist. He'd rather have me do whatever makes me happy - seriously. I have never, ever, ever felt controlled or beholden to him. ?
We're together for the love! ;)

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 01:45PM

1. The promises were coerced.
2. I had my fingers crossed. Also, I said "no" to myself.
3. Just like Homer Simpson had given his "heart and soul" to Marge, I stated silently in the temple that I had already promised Christ to give everything for the gospel, not LDS Inc., so the temple promise was void ab initio.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:51PM

LOL. Love your finger crossing thing. The only thing I remembered promising was the promise I made silently to myself to never subject myself to that weird stuff again. I knew I'd have to go back for the wedding ceremony but that would, of course, be so beautiful (joke was on me) and I knew I wouldn't have to go through an endowment.

I did go back 4 more times in about 5 years. Finally said Enough the last time I went which was well before the 1990 changes. Instead of learning more each time, as people claim (lie), I only got more and more agitated. I realize now that it was my rational brain trying desperately to battle my steralized obedient mormon brain.

Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 01:45PM

You promised everything you have, and everything you ever WILL have to the (corporation) of the church (not to Jesus). Can anyone say "cult"?

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 01:51PM

yes all everybody else said. But you also promised to become part of a polygamist sect. Even if you're not practicing it right now, and you promise to not tell anyone about it. That's all it is.

Date: October 10, 2013 01:55PM

Really? I thought now TSCC preached against polygamy? Or is this an 'eternal' thing?
GAH! I really feel lost. I suppose it shouldn't really matter now that I have left but I AM curious.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 02:27PM

Yep. Polygamy will be a principle in the Celestial Kingdom. That's why priest holders can promise girls who don't get married in this life that they will get married in the next to a worthy priesthood holder (who can only get to the celestial kingdom in the first place if he is sealed to a woman)if they are really really good and do what they are commanded.

Also, women like my MIL will be second wives in the next life. Her hubby was married and sealed to a woman who died of cancer : (. My MIL was sealed to him a few years ago. He is now sealed to two woman. This bothers my MIL a lot. It's distressing. She believes she will be the second wife for all eternity. Stupid cult.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 04:20PM

Yes. Polygamy is the secret part of the temple, the real reason if was invented

Posted by: Moroni I ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 01:56PM

....and you bowed your head and said, "YES". I did it with a blood oath to have my throat slit and a disembowelment if I were to break the covenant (and this sh*t is said and done in the most holy of holy places here on earth!). And did you remember Satan's last scene when he said that you are in his power if you break any of the covenants made in this temple on this day? Please trust us when we say that it is a mindf*ck and the mark of being in a cult. It really pisses me off that everytime my TBM children do the temple they are reminded that their father has been deceived by Satan and is a bad person. If the church wasn't a cult it would teach specific covenants you make before you set foot in one of their temples. They don't go into specific covenant making because they know that if they did people would not go and they would not have control of them....that is what they want...for you live your life as one of their slaves...think about it...every decision in your life has already been made...by whom?...the effing cult. Religion is in the business of selling and spreading fear shame and guilt.

In the name of cheese and rice...amen (rant over)

Date: October 10, 2013 02:03PM

I honestly don't remember much of anything. And I went through after a lot of stuff was changed, or so I hear (2007).

Posted by: Moron I ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 02:17PM

The church will tell you that you cannot make it into the highest degree of the Celestial kingdom (CK3) without the saving ordinances of the temple. So through the eyes of a true believing member it is everything. Too many things do not stack up here though. For one can you be a good Christian and get into heaven?....they will tell you that you cannot without the "blessings of the temple". If you miss a tithing payment and are honest in the response to the bishop or stake presidency member you will be denied access into the temple and put into question your eternal salvation. To me it is like the catholic church's selling of indulgences. There are just so many hooks that the church sets into a person to keep them in line and doing their will and keeping their coffers full. Go check out mormonthink.com and spend a few days contemplating the objective side of mormonism.

Posted by: Chump ( )

Surely the plain and precious truth of Jesus receiving his essential temple endowment was lost from the bible...or hidden by conspiring men. At least we have the Book of Mormon, which includes the fullness of the gospel...Oh wait!...No temple endowment?! Hmmm... Has anyone gone to the temple to do the endowment for Jesus?

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:28PM

Excellent! Both posts.

Which leaves one to ponder why the endowments are straight from the masonic lodge when perfectly good descripitions of rites in the Jerusalem temple existed in the Babylonian Talmud, from the time of Chirst?

In case you haven't seen this before: http://www.ephesians5-11.org/handshakes.htm

Posted by: HaSatan ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 02:07PM

I think you basically agree to live the new and everlasting covenant (plural marriage included therein) of marriage. Never have sex with anyone other than your spouse. Give everything you now have or may have to building up the lds church. swear you won't tell anyone about the tokens and signs and your new name. Lots of weird stuff you agree to, and learn. Of course you also learn the true order of prayer.

Next time you are asked to pray, tell them you will but you want everyone to join in the true order of prayer with you kneeling in the center as voice. See how that goes over...

Posted by: pathos ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:45PM

The women in the room will now veil their faces

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 02:22PM

You promised to...

put your right hand in,
You put your right hand out,
You put your right hand in,
And you shake it all about,

You do the hokey pokey
and you turn yourself around
That what it's all about.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )

Here is a short review.
It does not include the first ordinance: Washing and Anointing and the promises made there.

http://lds4u.com/lesson5/templecovenants.htm

It's hard to remember all of this if only done once, particularly the Washing and Anointing ceremony as it's usually only done once, the first time you go to the temple. Those promises are important to the believer.

I was a convert and familiar with the idea of symbolism in religion in general. It never occurred to me, nor was it explained to me that any of it was literal. I know others do, but I didn't.

More here: http://home.teleport.com/~packham/temples.htm

As a dedicated believing member, I attended approximately 500 sessions in at least nine temples. I also did the initiatory sessions of washing and anointing in groups of a dozen or so.
That particular ordinance is important as it defines the role and the power of women in the eternities.

At the time, I thought this was important for my personal salvation. I've since changed my mind and find no need for any of it.

Date: October 10, 2013 02:31PM

Thank you!

Posted by: doubtisavirtue ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 04:29PM

Remember that as you said, lots has been changed. They no longer swear the penalties (often referred to by critics as "blood oaths") as of 1990. The washing and anointing is no longer a literal naked washing and anointing, but a "symbolic" washing where they just dab your forehead with oil briefly while you're fully clothed (this has gradually changed in stages over decades). The command to "obey your husband" has been replaced by "hearken unto the counsel of your husband" (which sounds much tamer) as of 2005. The 5 points of fellowship have been removed, and so forth.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 04:31PM by doubtisavirtue.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:56PM

was to love your husband.
Or he, you.

The church doesn't give a ₵ʁ₳Ᵽ if you love each other! They just want you to pray, pay, and obey. Especially the "pay"...

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:18PM

You promised to be nice to dodos.

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 05:28PM

I was the biggest covenant breaker of them all. I laughed loudly and did so often. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.