Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sebcole ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 09:34PM

I am new here, and am glad to see an active forum of like minders.
How long has it taken you to be the person you are comfortable with being / aspire to be?
Many may suffer from feeling if inadequacy to the 'normal' world after being conditioned into a way of dependence in the church. Many may also suffer feelings of unworthiness upon peeling away from the guilt ridden thought patterns.
My journey has been very psychological, and certainly hasn't ended. There are many issues I am dealing with. I think being in the Church from birth has made me more aware of myself in many ways and what I am thinking. Many issues might not be to do with the church, it is hard to ascribe reasons to the way I feel, to the past with certainty.
But I do know the church rendered me ineffective in many ways to function at my best in society - by wasting my talent and energy of pointless habits like worrying about thing's that aren't likely to happen because they are based on things that don't exist.
I could go on a marathon of explaining - but for forum purposes, I'll leave it there. What's your situation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 09:52PM

Bottom line.......

The church really messes with your head!

Welcome to the board ;)
Its my life line to sanity.

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 09:56PM

Yes - the board has helped me find a place to express and share my doubts about LDS,Inc. with like-minded individuals.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 04:19AM

So right. Cultish thinking is a complete waste of time and talent.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 05:31PM

For a time I was active in the Mormoney church because I chose to be. A lot of my friends were in the church, and I saw the church as a possible pathway to family happiness, which I had not experienced growing up. So I married in the temple and found the temple very, very weird and somewhat frightening. It did not take me long to discover, after having a couple of children, that what I had been told about the church was not what it really was like. My husband and I both quit attending church together at the same time. However, even the relatively short time I was active left me with scars because IMHO the church is a cult and it does a number on most people. Also, so much of my surrounding friends, family, and community were still in the cult. It takes a while to find your own path when this is where you have been spending your time and energy.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 06:39PM

If you are a member of the ELks, or Rotary, or a Mason even, it
is a PART of your life, maybe even a very important part. If
you are a Mormon it is your WHOLE life. If you were BIC born
and raised, then all the fundamental components of your psyche
were built by Mormons. Disengaging is not always so simple.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.