Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 11:29AM

I applaud Jeff for trying to tackle something that is probably weighing heavy on the minds of the old men. Mental illness is a very important topic and should be one of those things where ecclesiastical leaders lend their support. Jeff however fell flat on his face in offering that help. Here are a few quotes that highlight how insensitive he is to this.

"In striving for some peace and understanding in these difficult matters, it is crucial to remember that we are living — and chose to live — in a fallen world where for divine purposes our pursuit of Godliness will be tested and tried again and again."

Translation: God meant for you to be like this.

“Of greatest assurance in such a plan is that a Savior was promised, a Redeemer, who through our faith in Him would lift us triumphantly over those tests and trials, even though the cost to do so would be unfathomable for both the Father who sent Him and the Son who came. It is only an appreciation of this divine love that will make our own lesser suffering first bearable, then understandable, and finally redemptive.”

Translation: How dare you impugn Jesus' considerable sacrifice by feeling sorry for yourself.

“At one point in our married life when financial fears collided with staggering fatigue, I took a psychic blow that was as unanticipated as it was real. … With the grace of God and the love of my family I kept functioning and kept working, but even after all these years I continue to feel a deep sympathy for others more chronically or more deeply afflicted with such gloom than I was.”

Translation: I get it because I once couldn't pay the phone bill.

“So how do you respond when mental or emotional challenges confront you or those you love? Above all never lose faith in your Father in Heaven who loves you more than you can comprehend. …. Faithfully pursue the time-tested devotional practices that bring the Spirit of the Lord into your life. Seek the counsel of those who hold keys for your spiritual well being. Ask for and cherish priesthood blessings. Take the sacrament every week and hold fast to the perfecting promises of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Believe in miracles.”

Translation: There is no hope.

In my mind this is a spectacular failure and just highlights the great harm that people like Jeff Holland can cause for people who need more help than just empty words.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 07, 2013 11:32AM

I thought I would link a close friend's thoughts on the subject as well.

http://www.thefledglingstale.com/2013/08/mormonism-and-mental-health.html#.UlLTjVCko8Q

http://whytheyleave.blogspot.com/p/culture-of-shame.html

The bottom line is that LDS inc does more to cause the problem than they do to help it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2013 11:34AM by jacob.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 01:00PM

"The bottom line is that LDS inc does more to cause the problem than they do to help it."

This!!!

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 11:47AM

It sounded like this to me: "This is a serious issue. We can't just tell those suffering with depression to suck it up and put smiles on their faces. However, to those now suffering, we say "suck it up and put smiles on your faces." Also, seek help from professionals...because our bishops have no training or authority to help in any way."

Date: October 07, 2013 12:06PM

That part where he says "we can't just tell those suffering to suck it up" is double speak because the whole talk is laced with shit like Jesus will get you through it and god has a plan that includes you having a terrible life.

The part where he says seek help from professional is also double speak because what he means is LDSSS, which is a reporting arm of the clergy.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 12:22PM

Thanks for the translation. It real helped understand the double speak and gobbledygook.

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 02:44PM

I disagree. I think he made it acceptable to seek professional help, which I always felt was taboo in the church. People continuously gave the advice "Read you scriptures" as a cure all to mental problems. Since I think most member enter a state of meditation when they read the scriptures I can understand how this might help some of them. Also I think that the church is in a lose-lose situation here. They are causing the problem they are fighting against. I know that members can't see it, but Holland can't win on this subject. I thought his talk overall was fine and really the best he can do.

Thanks for posting the critical parts of his talk and pointing out the double speak. I disagree that it is double speak, I think he is offering to break down the taboo and recommending real help (the bishop is not real help). A trained LDSSS therapist, is better then a bishop. People outside Utah will probably even receive help from a non-mormon therapist, which is all the better.

Date: October 07, 2013 02:50PM

"Also I think that the church is in a lose-lose situation here. They are causing the problem they are fighting against. I know that members can't see it, but Holland can't win on this subject.

Can't argue with that. I'm not inclined to give him a pass on this because he has to power to change how people are treated in real life. He instead opts to deliver pat answers that in no way change the way people are treated. Real ownership would also include changing the daily guilt inducing practices of the LDS church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.