Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steakpres ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 06:58PM

Hi I'm just researching some of the different 'Mormon' online communities that are out there (online). This looks like an interesting one, though I probably won't fit in too well!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 07:46PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:01PM

Yes, chances are, if you believe the earth is only 7k years old, you probably won't fit in too well here. And my guess is, the guy whose blog you spammed us with won't appreciate it too much either.

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword (not logged in) ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:09PM

'Stakepres' and President Paternoster are not one in the same.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:01PM

Years ago when I was attending church, we were never taught the young earth stuff. It was assumed that the earth was as old as the scientists said, that dinosaurs really lived and many people who were good Mormons accepted evolution. Seems like things have gone a giant step backwards or maybe I just lived in a liberal ward.Makes me glad to be out.You are right about not fitting in here. In fact prepare for some real flaming. I won't do it, but I am sure someone will.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 07:03PM by bona dea.

Date: February 02, 2011 07:05PM

Exactly Bona Dea. My biology professors at BYU as well as my biology PhD step-father would take exception to the young-earth theories too. The religion really seems to have taken a big fundamentalist step backwards in so many ways.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:04PM

I think you are probably right, though you certainly are welcome!

Probably my first clue was the first several paragraphs of your blog today:

"What is the Age of the Earth?

Many people debate the age of the Earth. On the one hand you have the scientists, atheists and liberal Christians and on the other hand you have those who accept the revealed word of The Lord.

Before I clarify any misconceptions take a minute to ask this question; should I trust the scientists who get their information by looking down at rocks and stones or should I trust the prophets who get their information from the Earths creator, even Jesus Christ?

As members of the true church we need not enter into this debate at all. Our modern day prophets and scriptures are clear."

So much of this is just completely wrong it makes my brain hurt. Establishing a true church requires EVIDENCE. Once reasonable EVIDENCE is established of a true church, only THEN would it be appropriate to dismiss a ton of other, verifiable, reproducible evidence on that basis.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:05PM

"[S]hould I trust the scientists who get their information by looking down at rocks and stones[?]"

Yes.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:10PM

elee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "[S]hould I trust the scientists who get their
> information by looking down at rocks and
> stones[?]"
>
> Yes.

Why not? Mormons trust Joseph Smith, who was totally into rocks and stones, as it happens.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:07PM

* The Church Handbook of Instructions (Handbook 1 for Stake Presidents & Bishops)
* The Church Handbook of Instructions (Handbook 2 Administering the Church)
* The Book of Mormon
* How to Build Your Downline:Your Step-By-Step Guide to Extraordinary Wealth

http://www.blogger.com/profile/16681281146162453967

Okay, so I'm guessing this is a gag blog (duh!) ... pretty funny!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:10PM

Date: February 02, 2011 07:13PM

And the Google God told me that Pater Noster = Lord's Prayer.

It's a fun puzzle on RFM today. The Pater Noster Code!

Posted by: Emmas Flaming Sword ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:16PM

Yes, I vote parody!

Posted by: canuck guy ( )

I had a look at Stake President's blog and I think the entries are made largely tongue placed firmly in cheek. In other words, the entries use the tone of a TBM church leader but they rather skillfully bring out some of the ridiculous ideas and attitudes of those TBMs.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )

Seriously.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:12PM

How about the poster's name: steakpres

What kind of sauce for that steak?

Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:18PM

I especially enjoyed the "endless meetings are a wonderful thing" paragraph. Whoopdeeee. Dipdeeee. We ALL love those! And the more mind-numbing, the better. Like white noise, so tranquil when there's no brain activity.

Please take my comments with a dollop of sarcasm.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:18PM

"Scientists would do well to take note; Man started out white and through unrighteousness became darker skinned."

Keep up the good work.

Posted by: jayen ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:20PM

Looking back at your blog I am appalled and offended. You kept a women from seeing the daughter that she raised being married, you should be ashamed of yourself. Can your brain comprehend the possibility that mormonism is NOT the truth... God is pretty inefficient in spreading his "Truth" if in fact mormonism is it... He is much more efficient at spreading Muslim beliefs.

If you did not see earlier blog by this guy, read this:

"A sister wanted to attend her daughters temple wedding, but her reccomend had recently expired. At first I thought this would be a quick renewal interview, but when it came to the question of The Word of Wisdom she asked if it was OK to drink green tea. I said absolutely not and explained to her that the tea leaves are the same as that of regular tea, but are simply picked earlier. She was quite distraught and admitted to partaking recently and said she had read somewhere that it was a healthy drink. She had actually stopped drinking coke and had replaced it with a drink that officially is against the will of our Lord! She did not feel at all worthy to enter the Lords house at that time so I felt my hands were tied. She didn't get to attend her daughters wedding ceremony in person, but was able to be a great support to her daughter all the same on that special day. I am pleased to report that she has since repented and is now a card carrying member again."

Green Tea and no temple recommend to see a daughter married, you have got to be kidding me!!!

This makes me so angry... AHHHHHHH! Oh... I get it... it is a joke... okay, take a deep breath.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 07:23PM by jayen.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:22PM

jayen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking back at your blog I am appalled and
> offended. You kept a women from seeing the
> daughter that she raised being married, you should
> be ashamed of yourself. Can your brain comprehend
> the possibility that mormonism is NOT the truth...
> God is pretty inefficient in spreading his "Truth"
> if in fact mormonism is it... He is much more
> efficient at spreading Muslim beliefs.

I think it is not spelt DELUSIONAL, I think it is spelt SPOOF! ;o))

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:25PM

I'm not sure. It could be a spoof, but unfortunately, some Mormons think exactly like this.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:26PM

http://www.askgramps.org/

This one is not a parody; this is some more of Allen Wyatt's FAIR attempts at Ballard Bullshipping...

I understand the real "Gramps" passed away (I think he lived in Davis County), but it looks like his legacy lives on...

Now behave yourself "steakpresident," or some of us will host a barbecue...

Perhaps as a gesture of good faith you could go spend a couple of hours over at ldsfreedomforums.com and then you wouldn't be so inclined to tease the people here...

Posted by: george ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:34PM

I would think a stake president would know the official name is spelled The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Guess he could have been a plumber prior to his ecclesiastical calling...

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:39PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.