Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 06:22PM

In political philosophy, a throffer is a proposal (also called an intervention,) that mixes an offer with a threat which will be carried out if the offer is not accepted. The term was first used in print by political philosopher Hillel Steiner, and while other writers followed, it has not been universally adopted. Though its threatening aspect need not be obvious, or even articulated at all, an overt example of a throffer is:

"Kill this man and receive $1000; fail to kill him and I'll kill you."

Mormonism and Christianity are both throffers. You must accept it when you find out about it. If you do, you'll receive eternal reward. If not, eternal regret or punishment.

It reminds me of the primitive man who was told about Christianity, and how now that he knew about it, he was obligated to accept it or face hellfire. His answer; "Then why did you tell me??"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 06:22PM by rationalist01.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 09:29PM

Mormonism was "throffered" to me by my idiot father. I declined. My father became wealthy late in life. Now he shares with his TBM offspring only. I'm cut out. Gotta love that good ole gospel 'o' Christ.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.