Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 04:38PM

Another thread mentioned George P. Lee, former General Authority of ill fame and repute (which still doesn't mean everything he said was false) who wrote letters for which he was excommunicated. I wondered what he said, so looked up his letters.

This section was interesting and sounds like the stories many people have had of uppper church leaders - showing that many of them only care about money, good times, good food, and power. Especially the stories about the fancy dinner parties and how Monson likes his milk and birthday cake just so, or he'll throw a fit.

http://www.lapahie.com/George_Patrick_Lee.cfm

" Love of power, status, position which creates a sense of worship for those in control and power.

Love of Money. The rich seem to get richer and the poor get poorer which encourages no sense of responsibility to the poor. In fact you told me to not talk about poor nor pray for them. The well-to do seemed to get all the important assignments and callings. Every week-end all we do is rub shoulders with the active or well-to do while neglecting the poor who need our help the most. I suppose most active members do not have inactive or poor friends. Our faith, devotion and commitment seemed to be based on being paid to do the work. A lot of our Priesthood leaders depend on being paid to attend important priesthood meetings which includes Bishops, branch presidents, district presidents, stake presidents, regional representatives and even general authorities. Of course most of these Brethren would go anywhere in the name of "The Lord's Work" as long as they are being paid and as long as all of their expenses are being paid. Brethren this would include your board memberships and meetings, royalty from wrtten books, and all donations and gifts from friends, speaking engagements and etc.

I am not sure how many of us would really do the Lord's work if we were not being paid.

I have heard a few of you declare that you are greater than ancient apostles such as Moses, Abraham, Noah Isaiah, Isaac, Jacob and etc. This reflects the attitude of all of you.

I have heard one of more of you declare that you can change anything Jesus had said or taught. This also reflects the attitude of all of you."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 04:43PM

Sounds like he hit the head of the nail.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 05:13PM

Yet more data that they know it's a fraud all the way to the top.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 05:16PM

Wow, that's an amazing letter, from 1987. It gives an insider's view on how TSCC changed the programs "to the Lamanites" completely after Kimball, and basically gutted the Lamanite outreach.

The BOM teachings about Ephraim ministering to the Lamanites to fulfill the many prophecies of their latter-day destiny were very important to my family. We considered ourselves part of the great work as publicized by Prophet Kimball.

So here we were, faithful LDS members, working hard to raise our kids to become missionaries to the Lamanites, and then sending them out to central and south America and the distant islands of the sea, to "serve and minister" in the grand old LDS way, and meanwhile the GA's were gutting all the Lamanite programs, and marginalizing the Lamanites, as quietly as possible of course so we stupid members would not realize what was going on.

And today, the Lamanites are just---gone! from the Mormon church. And even my RM kids don't get it, they don't understand that their missions were wasted by the apostles.

I find much in Elder Lee's letter to be "true and faithful" to the explicit gospel teachings of the LDS church. Thanks for posting this, I wish this could get wide circulation among the tbm's. Might wake some of them up!

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 07:22PM

I remember this bloke as saying once "But I don't want to become white and delightsome!". I thought he was MARVELLOUS!!! Of course he didn't, what ON EARTH was wrong with his darker skin? But to say it was of course in the face of so many things tscc taught.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 08:30PM by fluhist.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 10:02PM

He came to my mission while I was a missionary and was awesome. Before he was excommunicated, obviously. I found him totally inspirational. He talked about being Christlike by helping the poor, doing good and making your community a better place; all stuff that really resonated with me. He also was really friendly and personable, taking the time to talk with all of us individually, something our MP couldn't even be bothered with.

He also was obviously proud of his Native American heritage but not at all arrogant. He was not apologetic about being a "Lamanite," which I also thought was great. I never saw any possible reason he or anyone else should be apologetic about it, ever since I was 11 and had a girl in my class that had been "placed" with a white family against the will of her and her family; I thought what America did to Native Americans was awful. This was before I found out my GGG-grandmother walked the trail of tears.

His visit was one of the things that kept me going on my mission, because he was such a great guy. I remember just thinking he was pretty awesome.

I bought his book when it came out and thought it was great too. Not long afterwards he was excommunicated and that really helped me along my road out - all the stuff I read about it and the GA comments just sounded so judgmental and incredibly arrogant when they talked about him, not at all in keeping with my personal experience with him.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 11:42PM

Wasn't he accused of molesting little girls, or something awful like that? He wasn't tried or convicted of anything like that. The LDS was keeping secrets about Lee.

The secret was, that Lee discovered that he was in a cult of lies, and not helping the poor at all.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 11:58PM

I knew someone who was in Lee's sex therapy recovery group. He said Lee was a very bitter man. He seemed to have a lot he wanted to tell.

He did molest a 13 year old girl who was spending the night at his daughters' sleepover party.

Of course, with a sex offence in your background that can cause the truth you know about the big 12 to be very clouded...unfortunately.

Lee knew much more than he could tell. He was a good man. It's sad his last days were that of a begging drunk on a sidewalk...

(according to a previous post from someone on Rfm a few years back).

The system that lifted Lee up seems to have destroyed him.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 12:02AM

He was convicted and went to prison for it. He was a registered sex offender. This doesn't negate what he wrote of course.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 12:09AM

Here on RFM we wait and hope for someone in the top leadership to tell the truth. George did that. Nobody seemed to hear him. He was ripped apart and demonized by the church. The same old tactics worked one more time.

What will it take? Who will it be? Who has the courage? Who has the morals? Who?

Anyone in the top leadership of Mormonism can be demonized. I'm beginning to think they all have a load of dirt that can be dropped on them the second they decide to out the doings of the mormon church.

In that respect there aren't many who are safe. Poor George was only a token lamanite. He could never speak the truth and get away with it. It didn't matter if he was living a perfect life or not. The church would have invented some dirt if they couldn't find any.

The mormon church and its leaders know that the whole house of cards will come tumbling down if anyone at the top dares to tell the truth. They aren't about to let anyone tell the truth without destroying that person in any way they can.

Posted by: Dr B (Buzzard Bait) ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 12:35AM

George P Lee was a very truthful and straight forward person who did tell the truth. I knew him. He helped us with food - myself & Family and put us up in a motel and found a place for us to live. This was after he was ex-communicated. No one ever said he was perfect but he believed in helping the poor and downtrodden and actually had more of the spirit of the Lord than those fakes who claim to be prophets and follow the Lord. They will say anything for the money!!

Posted by: ExcommunicatedMormon ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 05:23PM

A few quotes about George P. Lee:

----------------

Salt Lake Tribune, August 13, 1993: "Former Mormon general authority George P. Lee said God will bring 'calamities and judgments' upon those who have accused him of child sex abuse ... Mr. Lee compared his plight with the persecution of Jesus Christ. 'We all have peaks and valleys,' he said. 'This is my valley, my Garden of Gethsemane.' "

----------------

"The immediate reaction of Lee's supporters was anger at the Church. According to Romero Brown, a political supporter from Window Rock, Arizona, the charge was 'obviously a political plot by the LDS Church to discredit Mr. Lee.' He further claimed, 'We were expecting something like this' because the Church was trying to 'win back fallen members' who were part of Lee's 'huge following.' According to Romero, the Church wanted 'their tithing money.' He also alleged that 'state and federal officials also are scheming against Mr. Lee because he supports Indian sovereignty.' " (http://www.lapahie.com/George_Patrick_Lee_Btfm.cfm)

-----------------

From anonymous pamphlet, "Men In Derision": “[George P. Lee's] rebellion could not be allowed to go unchallenged, and a plan to smear his good character was launched: character assassination it is called. A young Indian girl was found, whose family was deemed suitable. The attack on the character and morals of Brother Lee was launched. They claimed he had used his position of influence to obtain personal favors from this Indian maiden. The assault began, with legal charges filed, and then published in the media. Brother Lee's rejection of the council and their passion for money, control, and power, brought down on him, as it were, the rages of hell. Even though he had never made his feelings public, due to the nature of the challenge and the accusations of the brethren, brother Lee had to resign his position as school principle, was excommunicated from the Church, and lost community standing and respect. Because he no longer had an income, Brother Lee could not hire an attorney to fight the charges, and was unable to defend himself in court. He was forced to capitulate and admit to guilt in order to stop the legal bills and character crucifixion. However, in obtaining the trial deposition of this supposedly violated Indian maiden, SHE ADMITTED UNDER OATH OF BEING PAID $10,000 BY A REPRESENTATIVE OF THE CHURCH TO MAKE THESE FALSE CHARGES. Can you imagine how much money this would appear to be to an impoverished and downtrodden Indian family?” (pp. 58-59.)

------------------

Bruce R. McConkie's deathbed confession to George P. Lee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI4nsngvcGw

--------------------

In a tape-recorded conversation on January 19, 1990, George P. Lee said: “They [Church Leaders] have surrounded themselves with lawyers and surgeons and others who will support them in their sins. President Hinckley is a known homosexual and they all love to fly all over the world. They see us as the enemy. The spirit is not there. It is a matter of time before the Lord stops them. It cannot get much worse. They will soon turn off members of the Church and hang themselves. They have a surveillance on me. This is what they do. No matter where I go, they follow.” (In statement from Major Roy E. Potter, to the FBI, January 4, 1991, p. [4].)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.