Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 01:36PM

Seen on Facebook from a TBM arguing with a disaffected, soon to be Excommunicated, but who instead will resign, member: "A popular movement in the church is going on and on about widening the application of the Atonement...."

Is this really a "movement" going on in the church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 01:41PM

the only tendency I see is more lies.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 01:44PM

I don't understand what that means. Less judgmentalism? Less church discipline?

Date: September 14, 2013 02:12PM

Good point. I'm imagining this TBM is resistant to the idea that there should be more Christ in the LDS church. And with that emphasis, an idea of the Atonement as making a greater place for grace and mercy, which would be an improvement for the LDS church, which is so hung up on judging, works, perfectionism, sacrifice, obsessing about details of administration, Pharisaism, etc.

Of course most Mormons insist that Jesus is a big part of their decidedly Christian church--"Jesus is the name of the LDS church, fer crying out loud. How could anyone think we aren't Christian?"

Well. [Big pause here. Head hitting keyboard.]

Grant Palmer made a similar point, saying that the church needed to drop the Book of Mormon as historical and focus on the life of Jesus. That would make it more of a Jesus centered church (less on the Twelve or the church Presidents).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 02:12PM by derrida.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 04:27PM

If you put "Jesus Christ" somewhere on the sign outside, no need to talk about him inside, right? So it seems with DW's ward. My grandfather said "Jesus Christ" quite a bit, and I don't think anyone who knew him would have argued that made him a Christian!

So WTF does "widening the application of the Atonement" mean? Sounds f'ing arrogant to me, but unsurprising considering the members of DW's ward seem like the most sanctimonious 65 people in town. The gatekeepers of the atonement.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 02:18PM

I saw that post as well and had absolutely no idea what it meant. Thanks for the explanation. But again, I am not one who is rooting for change. I want total destruction.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 02:24PM

I share your wish completely. I want the church to avoid all change that makes it more palatable. I want the Mormons to lean in to all that makes them awful--the better to make people flee!

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 02:32PM

They changed; why? cuz all my history, family and even my faith is TBM. If they would allow women to hold the priesthood, Allow gays to marry, admit that JS didn't translate as much as "channel" the gospels. I'd go back. I loved the church and still do... But if they want the selling point to be "Lay" ministry and such then do it. Don't Lie about it.

Date: September 14, 2013 02:53PM

That's sort of similar to gays who say, "Why on earth would I choose this? Being this way makes my life so damn difficult. Being gay is who I am and I have to embrace me, no matter what the society says."

Date: September 14, 2013 02:54PM

Also, very interesting point on the Lay ministry. People wanting a real lay ministry, not a bogus one hog-tied to the Powerful and tithe enriched in Salt Lake City.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 03:28PM

I don't know why TSCC is so proud of their lay ministry. I think if you pay an organization 10% of your gross income, you should get trained counselors and Sunday entertainment, in a building cleaned by professional cleaners.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 03:43PM

Very good point. Not only that, you'll get more out of the sermons and not fall asleep.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 03:42PM

I don't really get what they mean either.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.