Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 01:06AM

So, I'm visiting Utah and can't help noticing all the old style steeples ChurchCo is putting on its meetinghouses. I thought, "You know, it wouldn't take much to add a little cross bar on the spikes atop those steeples."

I can see sometime in the future the brethren will announce that there was never any doctrinal reason for the church not using the cross. It was just something some past, long-dead leaders preferred. You know, like denying the priesthood to the seed of Cain. They were speaking only as men, you know. The cross is just fine."

I doubt, though, that they'll ever go full Bleeding Jesus Crucifix, though, like the the Great and Abomina... oops, I mean, our dear friends, the Catholics.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 01:16AM

The building I went to always had a steeple. It was built in the '50s.

Most of the Morg buildings, in the city I live in anyway, built before 1980 look like their Protestant counterparts, except without a cross, of course.

20 years ago, I was visiting Utah, & there was a brand new chapel in Tooele (or near there) that wasn't some bland, cookie cutter box of a chapel. This building was huge, in a faux - "big English country church" style way. It looked extremely expensive, & absolutely nothing like other new chapels that were being built in the cult at the time. I was actually embarrassed & ashamed of the building, because it was so ostentatious, all it needed was stained glass windows.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 06:59AM

Any mainstreaming by the mormon church is cosmetic. Did the church have a sign out front with a list of times saying everyone is welcome? There is absolutely nothing mainstream about the temple. The interviews, garments and non members not being allowed to attend temple weddings. It's the old bait and switch. We're mainstream until after you join and find out what we are really like.

Date: September 14, 2013 07:10AM

dk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did the church have a sign out front
> with a list of times saying everyone is welcome?

I did see some Morg buildings that had signs with meetings times & such, & that everyone was welcome. But that was in the '80s.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 03:26PM

Tristan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Did the church have a sign out front
> > with a list of times saying everyone is
> welcome?
>
> I did see some Morg buildings that had signs with
> meetings times & such, & that everyone was
> welcome. But that was in the '80s.

In my area (SF Bay Area), every Mormon church I see has a sign in front saying "Visitors Welcome." They've been like that for years. Maybe because Mormonism isn't so prominent here, they've tried to reach out a bit more.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 07:39AM

@dk--exactly

Posted by: Hinkley ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 07:43AM

The one that kills e is the constant attempt at justification. I always here in conversations things like. "You know so and so or so and so is a precessional athlete, actor/actress" - you fill in the term. "And they are Mormon". It's like you are supposed to surprised at how normal these people are at the same how special these people are.

I always think to myself that the person being spoken of is nothing more than a drag on my species. They choose to belong to an organization that contributes nothing I mean nothing good to the human race. They proclaim that this special group they belong to is so superior that it act he way it wants towards its fellow man. What I mean buy that is the Mormon church does what it needs at the moment to keep its self going no matter the cost to the community or society at large.

So when these loud mouthed slobs go on and on about famous members of the Mormon church. I wonder if these celebrity members understand that besides their money they are nothing more than tools.

In other words "see we must be true because so and so are/is a member."

Posted by: pop-tong ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 04:02PM

It is annoying to hear them go on and on... it is also pretty common for any group with an inferiority complex to do the same. Canadians do it quite often. And there's Adam Sandler's Hanaka song.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 08:17AM

Naw. Once you take a dump, you can't put that stuff back inside. They would have to re-design everything from the bottom up and then be content to lose a whole lot of active members. (They do seem fine having already lost over 2/3 the members, though.) Look what happened when the RLDS faced their demons? I admire them for having done so, but the faction that became Community of Christ is now smaller than the RLDS ever was.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 02:39PM

Didn't the artist rendering of the Rome temple have a cross on the entrance?

Date: September 14, 2013 02:42PM

It was a graphic design suggestive of a cross, where the doors meet when they are closed. So, it looked like a cross, but wasn't one, & wasn't supposed to be one. & I think they did it to appease/impress the Italian Catholics. Which I think it did not.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 02:44PM by Tristan.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.