Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:38PM

I've always kind of written off the idea that you can spot a Mormon a mile away by the way they're dressed. Then I watched the SLC gay-marriage proposal and saw the Mormon families come out and was really surprised. Even the teenaged girls were super easy to peg.

So, how does a 20-30 year old woman dress so as to not look like a Mormon, besides the obvious tank top and short shorts answers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:47PM

Form-fitting, flattering clothes. Preferably not more than one layer of outer clothing.

Posted by: homoerectus ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:53PM

Alternative styles

Stay away from department stores, Gap, and Old Navi.

Posted by: notanymore ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 12:01AM

Oh no, I still shop at both of those stores. I better find some new places to buy my clothes from =)

Posted by: Zelphster ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 11:50PM

If you are a woman, avoid wearing capris with a two-layered t-shirt and dying your hair blond when everyone knows you haven't been a natural blond since you reached the age of accountability. None of these are necessarily bad by themselves, but when combined you are more obvious than Rudolph.

Date: September 13, 2013 11:57PM

Perfect description!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 12:20AM

That's true about the blonde dye job, as those with brown eyes often look washed out with blonde hair.

Posted by: peepster ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 11:58PM

A quick google of the word "outfits" just now took me to a pinterest board with some pretty cute stuff. Just like with everything in the whole world once you're out of the church, you can take ideas that work for you and leave the rest. (The church teaches there's just one way to do stuff. The escape from that all-or-nothing thinking is still so exciting to me.) It might take some time to develop a sense of style that's your own. Have fun with it! You can wear whatever you want. :D

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 12:04AM

OK why is my wanting to wear t-shirts & jeans a bad thing? Why does everyone have to say that I'm frigid prude for it?

Date: September 14, 2013 12:09AM

Because they're idiots and don't really care about you?

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 12:13AM

If you want to wear jeans and a T shirt, you should wear jeans and a T shirt. If "you" decide that you want to try something different, you should go to store that feels comfortable to you and start trying thing on. Tell the sales staff that you're looking for a new look and let them pull things for you to try. If you find something you like buy it, if not walk back out in your jeans and T shirt.

Posted by: peepster ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 12:14AM

Who said that? You've got to wear what you want. T shirts and jeans are the best.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 01:00AM

It's just that every time anyone brings up the question of women's clothing & fashion on this board, it feels like anyone who wants to wear anything covered up is seen as being still brainwashed by the Morg, ashamed of their bodies, stupid, backwards, unfashionable, etc.

I know about a bit about fashion, but I don't keep up much with it now because all of my favorites are either dead or retired. But I have certain styles that I like, fit my body, & I go with that, & try to update & streamline things every once in awhile without trying to be trendy. But I keep covered up because I have scars on my body, not because I'm a prude. Also, I hate skirts & dresses, so I avoid them like the plague.

& in my private life, I practically only wear jeans (not mom jeans) & t-shirts (regular fit, not baggy).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 01:03AM by Tristan.

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 03:33AM

Jeans and t-shirts are pretty much my life uniform too. Just don't wear the double layer tees (especially the white under tees - it just screams MORMON!). Also avoid white t shirts under sundresses, maxi dresses, and tank tops.

If you want to spice it up, find yourself some good shoes. A black tee with jeans and Chuck Taylors is a completely different outfit with boots, sparkly flats, red heels, or oxfords.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 12:58AM

IMHO, it's more a matter of breaking that cookie-cutter style and dressing however YOU want. I've noticed most Mormon ladies stick to pastels and very girly clothing (unless they're the really frumpy types) and then over-accessorize.

Some other looks that spell Mormon Fashion Victim:

- the pasted-on, ear-to-ear smile with too-white teeth, combined with big wide eyes (accentuated by too much mascara and/or eyelash extensions, lined inner lower lids, and shiny eye shadows)

-- perfect-blowout hair, held in place by too much hairspray (usually with streaks, highlights, or other weird coloring)

-- double and triple-layered camis and tees, often topped by a sheer tunic or blouse

-- above-the-knee skirts or dresses with capri-leggings underneath

-- maxidresses with tees underneath or shrugs over

-- those awful-looking capri jeans with embellished back pockets, worn with a double-layer tee and very high/platform/stiletto heels (and sometimes an ankle bracelet -- shudder!)

-- workout or athletic clothes worn with fancy hairdos, full makeup, and big dangly earrings

-- any clothing with obviously homemade ruffles, sleeves, or "modesty inserts"

Date: September 14, 2013 01:16AM

Ha! I see the workout clothes with hair and makeup a lot. Spandex pants are immodest, except in work out clothes, so just wear workout clothes all day with no intention of working out.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 01:09PM

I love them...I make gemstone and glass anklets and wear them in the summer. I used to wear toe rings, too.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 04:42PM

Anklets and toe rings can be lovely and original.

The mental picture I was trying to paint was of a woman wearing the high platform sandals, anklets, super-skinny capris with the embellished back pockets, a tee with a white tee underneath, plus the bumped-up, hairsprayed hair, dangly earrings, AND too much makeup.

Where I live, Mormon women get dressed up like this to troll the aisles at the local grocery store, often with a cart full of screaming young kids in tow. It's not pretty.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 02:56PM

I wear anklets and jeans with embellished pockets. Be careful with that wide brush.

Posted by: sha'dynasty ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 02:58PM

This is spot on.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 03:43AM

Layers, especially a lace bottomed cami peeking out under bottom hem of shirt.
Bumped up hair.
Long skirt of any sort with a t shirt.
Most stuff from Downeast Basics,

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 04:03AM

Ummm, even the gay chorus line looked Mormon

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 11:45AM

Here on the east coast, the super-modest, many layers, long sleeves and skirts even in hot weather call to mind not Mormons who are rare here, but Ultra Orthodox Chassidic Jews. I feel so sorry for those girls in the summer.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 12:16PM

This seems to be the favorite uniform for my Utah relatives. To church they wear longish, loose-fitting skirts with baggy tops or jackets. They are very attractive women, not overweight, yet if it weren't for the long hair, it would be hard for a Martian to tell that they are female.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 02:54PM

1. Unless strapless, dresses must be no longer than five inches above the knee.
2. Dresses should always be sleeveless.
3. T-shirts or camisoles must be sleeveless.
4. Wearing a bra is not required.

Follow the above, and no-one will mistake you for being mormon. You will be more comfortable! If you must go to some LDS service, be sure you follow the instructions above so no-one will ask which ward you "belong" to. Even better, no-one will feel you to test whether you are wearing garmies.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 03:00PM

Plus it's been proven that bras don't prevent sagging, lol.

Posted by: NewName ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 03:17PM

Dark colours if you're into it, Show cleavage if your'e a woman, Wear Make-up (mormons think anyone with noticable makeup is more likely a Whore/Hooker) , tight fitting, show your legs (not all us girls can!) Hair Color - whatever color- Just anything that shows your personality beyond a Sunday Dress or a Suit & Tie!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 03:24PM

On one end of the TBM scale you have total frumps. On the other are those walking right on the edge. I have kin at both ends and spread all across the spectrum.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 04:07PM

I forgot to suggest anything for us menfolk. Rather simple, BRIGHT colors. Perhaps a pink shirt with red plaid pants, a bolo tie, and .... a good beard. You don't need to say a word: THEY will know you aren't TBM. You will get compliments from the women, at least those who aren't afraid of the Bish et al. A picture, remember, is worth a thousand words.

Mormon women are really as sick of men who kowtow to mormon fashion as mormon men are tired of frumpy TBM women. Even a lighthouse tie will get oodles of compliments from the women. They are starved like the men. They WANT something and someone to stand out.

Posted by: Lush ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 04:16PM

The easiest way is to stop wearing garmets. While I enjoy watching women at the supermarket bending over with their garms hanging out the alternantive to that is much much more enjoyable.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 04:55PM

Not dressing like a Mormon is super easy.
Wear shorts and a tank-top or just one t-shirt by itself. Also, don't wear 15 layers of old mascara that's so thick it now qualifies as eye shadow and liner!

Avoid odd denim capris. I promise, capris of any fabricaren't flattering on anyone except the lovely ladies at the nursing home. (Who, btw, are totally modest and more fashionable than Mormon women. Most of them look like Jackie O.)
Avoid long tulip skirts. I see these a lot among the "I'm more pious than you are" RS ladies. Unless you genuinely like florals, avoid those long flowered, totally 90s skirts. They were butt-ugly 20 years ago, and they're butt-ugly now.
Also, please, just for the sake of fashion, please don't wear a black sheer tunic over a black t-shirt, when you know good and damn well that you're meant to wear a camisole under it!!

Date: September 14, 2013 08:05PM

Holy cow... the 90s was 20 years ago, not 10.
Interesting point about the mascara and deciding what is meant to have a camisole under it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.