Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:32PM

I've encountered this many times.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon? I'm not complaining, and, in fact, I applaud their taste in case.

Is this just a classic case of compartmentalization? Or is Freddie's voice so amazing that it shuts down all homophobia?

Discuss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 10:33PM by archytas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:38PM

I didn't care, but my cousin swore adamantly that he was not gay, that he got HIV from tainted blood.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:38PM

Freddie's voice is just so amazing it shuts down all homophobia. :)

Same thing regarding Rob Halford (when he was younger & still had his voice anyway). BTW, Rob was always out, wasn't hiding it, & most fans knew he was gay - even I kind of figured it out when I was a kid. The only ones that didn't realize it were in denial. When he "came out" later, it wasn't a declaration, just a clarification.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:45PM

Thanks to the following, my nine year old is walking around singing Bicycle Race:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Et3PYo_CW-w&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEt3PYo_CW-w

I am so proud. ;)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:54PM

I wonder what happens to TBMs who listen to the village people ?

Date: September 13, 2013 10:58PM

They become NOMs? :D Just trying to guess. :/

Posted by: charles, not logged in ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 09:06AM

LOL *snort!*

Date: September 14, 2013 09:15AM

Listened to Queen while TBM. All of us siblings did, we didn't care that he was gay. I don't know how I compartmentalized listening to Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Metallica, Jethro Tull, U2, Dire Straits, Stone Temple, The Police, etc while TBM but I did. Didn't realize it then but Tears for Fears was my spirit crying for release from the Morg!

Posted by: sha'dynasty ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 11:10PM

It may just be a case of TBM cluelessness. My uber-TBM dad loves Queen. He also sings along shamelessly to 'Relax!' by Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 11:14PM

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 11:20PM

I was told they were "Satanic." Everything is Satanic in Mormonland.

Date: September 13, 2013 11:24PM

Funny story -

I had a MIA Maids advisor who told me that her favorite bands in high school were Aerosmith & Bad Company. But KISS - no way! They were Satanic! She brought up that old trope of "KISS" meaning "Knights In Satan's Service". All I could do was laugh to myself.

Date: September 13, 2013 11:33PM

Yeah, it's not just Mormons unfortunately. A lot of Christians in my high school in Indiana were the same way. I heard Aerosmith and Bad Company (and every shitkicker Southern rock band and whatever else they played on Q-95) on the bus every morning on the way to school, but one day they decided that the Mr. Ed theme had Satanic backwards masking, so the local TV station cut the opening theme. All Christians had to do was to point, and it dies. It's hard to figure out.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 11:40PM

Mr Ed, the talking horse, Mr Ed?!

Date: September 13, 2013 11:43PM

Yeah, the very one. A horse is a horse, of course of course, unless it's.... SATAN!

Date: September 13, 2013 11:47PM

Good grief! =:-O

Date: September 13, 2013 11:41PM

Oh I know...My older sister became a born again Christian in the mid '80s. She was all about the "Christian rock", which I couldn't stand. Her one exception was always the Stones, & she saw them in both 1981 & 1989.

Date: September 14, 2013 09:18AM

Tristan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh I know...My older sister became a born again
> Christian in the mid '80s. She was all about the
> "Christian rock", which I couldn't stand. Her one
> exception was always the Stones, & she saw them in
> both 1981 & 1989.

What is that name of that awful Christian artist whose songs are really just chants, saying the same lines over and over? There is no musicality in it, just trance-like, moronic and simplistic chords. Sheesh, what a crime against art.

Date: September 13, 2013 11:25PM

I wouldn't have made it through the 80s if I couldn't listen to music made by homosexuals.

No kd lang, Culture Club, Joan Jett, B-52s, Soft Cell, Elton John, George Michael, Pet Shop Boys, Melissa Etheridge, Indigo Girls, Bronski Beat, Right Said Fred, Rough Trade, REM... and probably many more that I'm forgetting or unaware of. And definitely Queen!

Devil's music, I tell ya!!!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 11:37PM

Date: September 13, 2013 11:41PM

Probably too sexy for a lasting career. :D

Date: September 13, 2013 11:50PM

Hey! They're still kicking, that's good to know!

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 11:40PM

My TBM husband doesn't give a Rat's ass if a musician he likes is Gay. He doesn't care at all. I really don't think a lot of TBM's care, if they like the music!

And Queen is one of my favorite bands. And who doesn't love Elton John??? I've liked him for 40 years.

I DID know some older TBM's [when I was one] who thought ALL rock music was evil. I thought they were freaks.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 01:19AM

I saw Queen in concert in Frankfurt, Germany in 1978. They did two different versions of "We Will Rock You," both of which rocked furiously. But they played "Bicycle," which sucked just as furiously. Mixed bag, that band.

Date: September 14, 2013 01:23AM

Yes, the metalicized, fast version of "We Will Rock You" is so awesome! :D

There's a concert recording of a show they did in Montreal in say '81 or '82, & literally 98% of the audience stayed in their seats. It was pathetic to watch, even though Queen sounded awesome.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 01:32AM

Oh you mean the band? Sorry old lady here, thought you meant British monarch!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 08:20AM

ok, really BIG Queen fan here. I love Freddie and Queen to death (sorry Freddie). Who really cares about Freddie's sex life. It was his private life and even when he was dying from AIDS he didn't even make it public until the day before he died.

He did have relationships with women. His first love Mary Austin all the way to Barbara Valentin. And yes, plenty of relationships with men.

Each member of the group is talented in their own right. John retired in 1997, Roger and Brian continue on with collaborative and solo careers.

Even though I am not TBM, I listen to Queen constantly. I never considered them "evil" or whatever. That vote went to all the heavy metal bands, and even Smashing Pumpkins.

So a BIG shout out to Queen and Freddie Mercury. A super group and the greatest showman in the history of Rock and Roll, respectively.

inthenameofcheeseandrice amen

Date: September 14, 2013 11:52AM

I do remember talking with some kids at school, & Queen came up. Freddie had been dead for less than six months at that point. Two of the girls in the conversation - older than me, "wordly" nevermos - were grossed out that I mentioned that Freddie had girlfriends.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 08:36AM

Not all TBM's are homophobes. I'm sure there are many homophobes that love the music, but wouldn't want to meet the person...just like there are racists that idolize black athletes, but wouldn't want to meet them. It's irrational, but it's irrational to believe in TSCC...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 11:00AM

We always loved Queen. My toddlers always loved to dance to "Another Bites the Dust." My pre-adolescent son loved to try to sing to "Bohemian Rhapsody."

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 11:27AM

Years ago, I was the primary chorister. Kind of fun, but eventually my conscience got to me and I quit. Anyway, remember "Book of Mormon Stories?" It has a 4/4 beat, so when we'd sing the song, I'd have all the kids doing the slap/slap/clap/(rest) beat (from "We Will Rock You") during the song. It was quite the scene, 50 or so kids all doing it.... and nobody ever said anything about it being a Queen reference... or that for some strange reason the "spirit" had been driven away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 11:30AM by jpt.

Date: September 14, 2013 11:47AM

You have to be joking. I say this because once when I was in high school, my TBM mom said to me that someone needed to make a BOM-referenced "We Will Rock You" remake/cover. I was about 16 at the time, & I turned to her, & said something like, "Hell no. That is wrong & stupid." I probably said something worse, but I can't remember.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.