Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nat the Nevermo ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 01:46PM

I'm a long-time reader, first time poster. Something really interesting occurred to me the other day. You know how on lds.org, you have to give membership verification to view the pages where you can buy garments and temple clothing? Has anyone on here who still has their membership info ever gone on those pages and hit "print screen" to get screencaps so other people can see them? I don't know about anyone else, but I think it'd be really interesting to see what materials are used, how much this stuff costs, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: serena ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 01:49PM

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 02:26PM

I haven't done what you suggest. I agree that garments are poorly made and poorly designed and the fabrics used leave a little to be desired, but given that they are made in the USA, the prices are not out of line. TSCC isn't making much on garments and temple clothing. If they start to contract the sewing to third world countries, they will be able to make money.

I make costumes for dancers and have to compete against the big catalog companies. Very little fabric is milled in the USA. If you can have a garment made where the fabric is milled and then import the finished product, you have increased your profit. Sewers in other countries make less than half per day, what a US sewer makes per hour at minimum wage. If Americans only bought what was milled and sewn in the US, we would all have a lot more room in our closets.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 04:01PM

Really? Made in the USA? Mine were all made in Venezuela, I remember this because I spent a lot of time staring at the back tags because of the immense amount of time I spent on the toilet on my mission while insanely ill. Are there different batches/sources?

Date: September 13, 2013 04:56PM

Apparently that is the case. The people sewing the garments have to be endowed and hold current temple recommends. Garments made in Venezuela would not be big money makers. The minimum wage in Venezuela is $7.00 an hour. I'm sure TSCC uses the same kind of tactics in other countries that they use here and find ways to pay less than minimum wage, but it still isn't like the clothes you're buying off the rack that are made in China, Cambodia, India or Malaysia.

Date: September 13, 2013 05:00PM

I just don't think they're making a lot of money on clothing. Their prices are pretty cheap. The real money comes from the tithing that you have to pay to get the recommend that you need to buy the cheap, ugly clothing.

Posted by: Inky ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 07:07PM

When I used to wear them, I had some on order that were taking ages to arrive. Being so anxious about my old ones being worn out and not having my new ones yet (because what would I do without garments!), I phoned up to see when I could expect them and was told that it did take a while for orders of this particular style to come in because they were made in the Philippines. They all of a sudden did not feel so sacred now that I knew that they were being made somewhere by people chosen for their cheap labor. By time they had arrived, I had stopped wearing garments.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 03:44PM

I can do this is you give me a little bit of time to put something together. I'll upload the images and get back to you once I'm done.
But someone please let me know if there's some sort of legal implication to me doing this.

Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 04:31PM

Click on the Rights and Use Information link at the bottom of the screen. It says something about not linking or redistributing the content on the site.

As far as materials go, the following options are available:
Cotton-poly blend
Nylon mesh
Corban
Dri Lux
100% Cotton
DriSilque (women only)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 04:32PM by Hold Your Tapirs.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 04:13PM

If you're worried about the legal side, you can send it to me and I'll put it up on my site.

Date: September 13, 2013 04:33PM

Okay, all done. There are no pictures of entire garments on the site (only close-ups of the material, so I didn't bother to include any of those). Here's a mash-up of the garments with a diagram of the styles and types of fabric available.
At the top is the main page, followed by a row of one-piece garments, tops, bottoms, then ceremonial clothing. I believe everything else is publicly viewable.

EDIT: http://www.anony.ws/i/2013/09/14/79mio.png

I hope this is what you were looking for.
And thank you, rt. If you could give me your email, I'd be happy to send you the full image for you to use. I'm not sure what this forum's policy is on allowing content that violates the privacy information that hold your tapirs mentioned.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 06:25PM by msp.

Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 04:47PM

This site [1] manufactures garments, the site owner says she's familiar with the church's process, patterns, and fabrics. They look authentic to me.

[1] http://mormonssecret.com/

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 05:00PM

I REALLY need garments for mardi gras this year. of course having ones bought from the corporation would be ideal. can anyone help me out? will check out mormon secret as well.

Date: September 13, 2013 05:08PM

I understand people being angry with the cult and wanting to show their disdain by desecrating something that the cult holds as sacred. But why on God's green earth would you pass up a chance to wear an over the top, feathered and bedazzled costume to the party of the year, just to make a point that most of the people in attendance won't even get. Go for the glitter. Paint your body gold. Don't wear sad underwear.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 05:18PM

Maybe Siobhan is going to tie dye them. Plenty of options you couldn't be bothered to think of. Why does the culty underwear still make YOU sad?
I'm trying to get some myself. LOL!

Date: September 13, 2013 05:32PM

If she wants tie dye, she should have a nicely cut tie dye spandex unitard made. I'm a costumer by trade and I have plenty of imagination, but I don't get why you would want to wear something ugly, that doesn't fit properly, when you could wear something really fabulous. Have you looked at the pictures on the You tube video about garments? They're ugly. They bag and sag and they make me embarrassed that I wore them. To each his own, but if you're going to wear underwear to a party, I thing you should go to Victoria Secret and buy something pretty and maybe a set of those wings they used a couple of years ago in their ads.

Date: September 13, 2013 05:44PM

You've got a lot of personal feelings tied up in them, don't you?
:D

Date: September 13, 2013 05:56PM

I have two separate issues going here.

First, yes, I will admit that I have a problem with desecration of things that anyone finds holy. I am not a fan of the profane. Having said that, I question who is more hung up about garments, myself, who hopes never to see another pair, or someone who must desecrate them.

Second, I find Mardi Gras fascinating. I have a supplier who deals in the feathers and beads and appliques that people use for their elaborate costumes. My contact is a multi generational business and Mardi Gras is a really big thing to them. They put a float in every year and the week of Mardi Gras they shut their business down and party. I do think that wearing garments to Mardi Gras is sad and a missed opportunity.

Date: September 13, 2013 06:49PM

Got it, it conflicts with your friend, the supplier.
Yeah, gawd forbid anyone do anything original when they could be doing the ooh shiny sparkle thing you like to see. Mmkay...

Somebody's not very recovered if sussing out motives seems "ugly".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 07:07PM by WinksWinks.

Date: September 13, 2013 06:59PM

Well, that got ugly in more ways than one. Have fun with your garmies.

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 12:51AM

Releve, the over the top beaded and feathered costumes are mostly worn by float riders, walking dance troops and the Mardi Gras Indians and are determined by the organization to which those individuals belong.

I would guess that Siobhan is looking for a costume to wear on Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras Day) for the Rex and Zulu parades and/or strolling through French Quarter. The costumes people wear to do these activities are more like Halloween costumes and it is kind of like an impromptu originality contest with satire being the main ingredient.

As for the likelihood that anyone would even understand what they were seeing in the case of garmies here on Fat Tuesday it is probably slightly less than the percentage of mormons that comprise the world population. I did however see three sets of "missionaries" wandering about this past year, seemingly due to the popularity of the BOM musical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 12:54AM by sanitationengineer.

Date: September 13, 2013 09:58PM

hey. hey. HEY! Can y'all wait till I can get to a keyboard to respond? didn't intend to upset! I'm on my phone and have 2 astigmatic eyes even w/my recent change to bifocals. will explain in the a.m.?

Date: September 13, 2013 06:12PM

msp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And thank you, rt. If you could give me your
> email, I'd be happy to send you the full image for
> you to use.

I don't want to use them, I just offered to host them on my website in case you needed it. My e-mail is mormonisme at gmail dot com. Note the -e before the at.

Date: September 13, 2013 06:25PM

Thank you again, rt. I decided it would be less complicated and yield the same result if I used an anonymous image hosting site. Sorry for having you put your email up.

For anyone interested in the link to the image, scroll up and see my previous post.

Date: September 13, 2013 06:57PM

Very nice!
Anyone recommend a fabric? Which one is least annoying? :D :D :D

Date: September 14, 2013 04:36AM

Could you provide us with the name and url of the website that this was taken from, and the date?

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 07:30PM

The garments on mormon secrets page are VERY decieving. The bottoms the girl is wearing actually fit her. In over 25 years of wearing garements I NEVER had garments that fit EVER!!

In defence on releve (and I KNOW I am going to cop it here) I tend to agree there are better ways to object to Mormonism than in flaunting their funny underwear. It will cause immediate offence. To me, if we are objecting to mo-ism it should be done in a way that appeals to people's thinking side and in a way that will HELP them to see what is wrong with mo-ism. I don't think a slap in the face - like showing off the garments in an awful light - acheives that. Just my opinion - slap me down as I know you will!

Date: September 13, 2013 10:01PM

thank you! the garments on mormon secret look so comfortable I'd wear them around the house. please check w/this tomorrow!

Posted by: Nat the Nevermo ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 08:16PM

Interesting--I always thought those pages on the website had photos of the temple clothing for sale, and that's why it was hidden from non-members. (I might add that I did already know what garments and temple clothing looked like prior to seeing the screencap.) It's also kind of strange to me that, other than the photo of the kit for making your ow apron, they seem to be trying to hide the fact that the aprons are green. (Possibly because all the church-approved info about the temple that's freely available to nevermos/non-endowed members talks about people wearing all white in the temple? Who knows.)
Releve, I also happen to be a costumer, although for theatre in general and not specifically for dance. That could be why I think this particular aspect of Mormonism is so intriguing.

Date: September 13, 2013 10:05PM

Temple clothing is a costume alright. Sometimes when I dress a troop of dancers, one of my tasks is to equalize the bodies, so that they blend together as a unit. Temple clothing does that. Everyone looks equally ridiculous. There really isn't anything about temple clothing that is very unique. It isn't even that secret. Endowed members are buried in their temple clothing, so if they have an open casket, any mourner walking in off the street can see their temple clothes.

Garments used to be very much like a long union suit, for both male and female. Now they're like ill fitting bike shorts and a t shirt for men and equally ill fitting bike shorts and a camisole with capped sleeves for women. Add some machine embroidered markings and wahlah, you have saggy uncomfortable underwear.

Posted by: caffiend as guest ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 08:39PM

...the one with his jeans in a drop-trou pose got me to thinking of an incongruity for a cartoon or maybe a sight gag in a movie: a city thug with his pants hanging off his butt, revealing -- instead of plaid boxers -- GARMIES!! "When Mormon boys go bad...."

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 08:53PM

I understand that garments are made in other countries for use in those countries. One son on a mission to Brazil told how members wanted garments made in the USA because they were much better made.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.