Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 12:00PM

SO my friend told me that his Cub Scout troop people came over at his house last night to tell him that his son went missing at the chapel and they had tried to look for him but could not find him and that after searching for 30 minutes, they needed to go home and "just wanted to let him know". The dad got his car keys and stormed out the door to look for his son, only to have one of the pack ladies pull up with the kid inside her car...he did not get a turn at a gam and stormed off and NO ONE went to check on him until the activity was over.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: burnned ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 12:13PM

One more example of why I should not let my boys join Scouts. What a total lack of Responsibility and Lack of Concern when there should be a concern. It's a very disturbing behaviour. Why would I drop my kids off to other Adults, only to NOT be watched!!! I would not do that, that's another reason why I don't go to their religion anymore...

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 01:00PM

Always a major fear of DW and I, our son has autism and all that entails, and you always worry that he'll wander off.

That said, the leaders of our particular pack are aware of his condition, have taught the other cubs what to watch for, and always keep an eye on him, even in the chapel.

Lost him at Disneyland a couple of years ago for the 15 longest minutes of my life.

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 01:03PM

I got left at the temple once after doing dead dunks. My parents were furious!

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 01:16PM

He didn't get a turn, that's not fair, and his feelings were hurt. No one checked on him, kept an eye on him, or apparently cared much.

Damn. I'd raise some cain.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 02:34PM

If that was teachers at a school who lost a kid for 30 minutes and then just "needed to go home," I assure you, holy hell would be raised and the teachers would lose their jobs for that.

The kid should be pulled from that troop and another one found that is not affiliated with the mormons.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 05:11PM

(Applause!!)

I totally agree! Most of our non-LDS pack are LDS pack cast-offs. Something happened, usually no one turned in their advancement work, so they didn't get their badges or patches. Or, same as this case, they got left out of something or left behind on a hike or a visit to the zoo 50 miles away.
Our pack policy is that *all* cub parents have to be on-site all of the time. Yes, it triples the population, but no one gets left out or left behind.

Gosh, no wonder scouting has dropped off so bad since it became infested with Mormons.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 11:58AM

The lack luster LDS scout program.

No one is making sure everyone has a turn...because they don't care.

I know life isn't fair.

But part of organizing a group together is to pool the resources and let everyone have a turn.

I've been told one of the unique things about the U.S. is we will wait in lines politely.
Think of bank lines, WalMart at Christmas, the coffee booth we drive up to...we wait.

One of my friends in a European country went to a bakery. She waited for her "turn". Then she realized the way you got served in that bakery was to elbow your way to the front and yell at the clerks to get your bread and doughnuts.

Kindness and civility are supposed to be taught at Scouts so that would mean everyone should have a turn.
If a scout has raised the question about missing a turn and no one responds and he storms off....the leader at least needed to know WHY the scout left the room.. Then he could decide if he needed to go after him. The leader must not be leaving until the scout is found!

Sometimes the Mormons seem to treat their children, and others children, like a litter instead of children.

Give the stray dog a chance, they'll come home, or the dog catcher will find them.

Or let his parent go call his dog.........

I hope the parent reports the scout leaders to CPS....and the dumb Bishop that didn't supervise...did the scout leader even want to be a leader????? It doesn't sound like it!

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 01:56PM

speaking of turn my friend, and father of this poor kid, donates 2,500 a year to scouts. He said their turn is over now.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 02:00PM

In my kid's scouts, non Morg, both Cub and Boy Scouts, there would have been two adults remaining until all kids had been picked up.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 02:07PM

IMO the parent should have been notified when the child could not be located. Someone should have stayed at church until the parent arrived.

The child may not be mature enough for scouting. Most kids who "storm off" will stand just outside the doorway. If a kid takes off altogether, there's a problem. The parent should talk to the child and communicate that going so far away from the adults who are looking after him is unacceptable behavior.

Adults can smooth out a lot of "taking turns" problems, but they have to be given a chance to do so.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 02:39PM

1. We left one of our sons at church and didn't realize it until we got a call an hour or so later. We always used two cars so both thought he was in the other car - sort of like "Home Alone". Since that time our rule has been you go home in the car you came in.
2. At the state fair (about 60,000 people present) many many years ago our adventurous daughter (about 6), walked off and we realized she was "lost" notifying those in charge etc. Fairly soon she simply returned to where we were and told us she wasn't lost - she always knew exactly where she was! Enough to cause a parent to have a stroke. We did not punish but she knew not to do it again. We were concerned for those minutes but never panicked.
3. Another DD made it a habit to sneak away if no-one was looking - at age three. Mind you, it wasn't going far but still a concern. In the case of both of the daughters they have always remained a mite headstrong and determined.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 10:15PM

THEY LEFT WITH A KID MISSING?!!! SERIOUSLY?!! WHAT THE f*#CK IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!!

As someone who directed a youth theatre program for many years, you, as an adult, are TOTALLY responsible for the children left in your care, legally, ethically and morally; with the emphasis on legally since apparently these people don't get the other reasons.

As an adult in charge, you don't leave until all the kids have been picked up safely! You don't continue an activity if a child is not there!! You are responsible for knowing exactly where every child is during the entire activity until they are handed over to a responsible and on the record adult guardian or parent. As an adult leader of a program involving minors, you are totally and completely responsible for their well-being!

They are totally and completely negligent, irresponsible and should have absolutely nothing to do with any children's program whatsoever.

If this were my kid, I would be raising a sh*#tstorm. So very glad everything turned out to be ok.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.