Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon4areason ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:23AM

not 100% accurate because it wasn’t recorded but as close to the actual conversation as possible.

On a flight to the west coast from Salt Lake City a man and woman were seated together. They struck up a conversation about the hot weather and the lateness of their flight. It appeared that they were both traveling home to the west coast. The following conversation was overheard.

Man: What brought you to Salt Lake?
Woman: I came for the memorial service of a friend.
Man: I’m sorry for your loss. (Pause) Do you mind my asking what your friend’s religion was?
Woman: I’m not sure.
Man: I was just wondering if it had been an LDS service.
Woman: Oh, no. That wouldn’t have happened.
Man: So your friend was not Mormon?
Woman: Well, I guess she had been. She had been a Mormon missionary at one time.
Man: So she left the Mormon church.
Woman: Not exactly, she was a lesbian and so it was not possible for her to be a Mormon.
Man: Well, you know that the Mormon church is open and welcoming to gay people. We just ask that they live the standards of our religion.
Woman: Gay people can belong to your church just as long as they don’t have sexual relationships?
Man: That’s one of the standards of the religion and there are several others…….
Woman: So, you’re saying that gay people are not allowed to have loving, committed, intimate, relationships during their lifetimes?
Man: (pause) well yes, that’s what our church teaches. I’ve had some experience with gay people in my congregation. I’m a Mormon bishop and a young man that I’d known all his life struggled with the issue of being gay.
Woman: What happened to him?
Man: He left the church. We also had a woman in the ward who came to me to share that her son was gay. She told me not to make her choose between her son and her church. After a while she stopped coming and then she quit the church. I saw how they struggled and it’s really a difficult thing.
Woman: It sounds like it.
Man: We just have to trust in the inspiration of our church leaders.
Woman: I’m sorry but I don’t understand the “trusting in inspiration” part. How was it OK for your church to be inspired to keep black people out of the highest part of your church and then be inspired to change that? How is it inspired for Joseph Smith to marry 14 year olds or women who already had husbands and then be inspired to change that? Are you thinking that it is going to happen for gay people too?
Man: I’m not sure but that is the way things are now. These are really difficult things for us to figure out.
(There was a fair amount of turbulence for a while and so the conversation was interrupted)
Woman: I’d like to know something.
Man: OK
Woman: How is it possible that you don’t have a huge amount of confusion because what you are told to do and what you actually believe?
Man: Well, I believe that I have to have faith and that things will fall into place and make sense.
The conversation ended and a long period of time elapsed. Then, right before the plane landed…..
Man: By the way, I want thank you for our conversation. I can tell that we are coming from very different places but I appreciate hearing your thoughts.
Woman: Well, I probably wouldn’t have shared my thoughts if you hadn’t brought it up.
Man: I just want you to know that you’ve given me a lot to think about. I mean that sincerely … you’ve given me things to think about that are at the core of my beliefs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: almostthere ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:30AM

Awesome!

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:35AM

It sounds like both parties were doing well. The Bishop was oblivious to the hurt the church caused those gay people who left, but was willing to think about stuff. The woman was logical and to the point.

Very cool conversation.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 01:23PM

snb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It sounds like both parties were doing well. The
> Bishop was oblivious to the hurt the church caused
> those gay people who left, but was willing to
> think about stuff. The woman was logical and to
> the point.
>
> Very cool conversation.

Can't say the bishop sounded oblivious to me. What happens when you're inside a bubble and you open an window?

Date: September 13, 2013 03:14PM

I don't know. Maybe I am guessing on some of the details. It seems like he didn't know how much harm he and the church did to those gay men who just kept on resigning. I think he thought he was doing them a favor by being completely open and accepting of them despite basically telling them that they would never ever be able to engage in a loving relationship.

It seemed to me like he felt he was doing them a favor. :(

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:49AM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 11:20AM

Sunlight is still the best disinfectant. Having to listen to his own beliefs out loud, and being heard by an impartial observer, made them sound ridiculous and damaging, even to the TBM.

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 09:23PM

it's funny how that happens!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 11:59AM

See, this is what I was talking about in my other post the other day. Exmos and other people informed about Mormonism need to stand up for what they believe. So often, Mormons are so easily offended and so trained in bullying others, that people find it easier just to turn the other cheek and not deal with them. But it really is important to be brave, like the woman in the above story, and take a stand for what we believe is right. We are entitled to our opinions and our beliefs and while we wouldn't want to force them on anyone, we should be confident about sharing them when the opportunity arises.

Well done, anon airplane woman!!

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 12:15PM

+1,000!!

Date: September 13, 2013 12:49PM

Totally agreed.

It does happen, but not nearly enough.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 01:21PM

Posted by: wideawake ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 02:58PM

+1!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 08:57PM

100%!

Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 09:08AM

Very true!

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 09:26AM

If Bishop Seatmate had had his wits about him, or any wits at all, he would've turned it around on her. Hopefully he'll think twice the next time to he gets an urge to do missionary work on a plane.

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 12:04PM

I have found it imperative to withhold being confrontational with mormons, as once the 3 levels of preprogrammed responses are gone, you can sometimes just talk to them from a logical perspective, only then can you get a new idea or concept across. I travel a lot and a plane is the perfect place to do this as the logistics of the conversation does not allow for the passive aggressive tone that often accompanies these type of discussions.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 01:14PM

The Bishop sounded like fairly sincere and open-minded for being a Mormon. Sounds like she got the wheels turning in his head.

Posted by: luge ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 03:03PM

Sounds like Bishop is on his way out and his doubts have just escalated!

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 03:11PM

Whoa. Don't get too excited. But, yes, I should hope that Anonymous Airplane Lady planted a seed or two.

Posted by: I whisper ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 03:27PM

I want to use this conversation in a chapter I'm writing. I'm wondering how I cite this. Does anybody kno?

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 04:35PM

What a great conversation!

To me, this is very odd:

Man: I’m sorry for your loss. (Pause) Do you mind my asking what your friend’s religion was?
Woman: I’m not sure.
Man: I was just wondering if it had been an LDS service.

So inappropriate and intrusive... "Hi. Nice to meet you. What was your dead friend's religion?"

But then again, I guess that whole conversation might not have happened if that man actually had decent manners.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 04:56PM

Yes, that was the most notable part of the conversation for me too. All she did was state a bunch of really obvious problems with Mormonism that this guy unbelievably had not thought of, despite being a Mormon bishop and having two parishioners actually change religions over this issue. He sounded like a clueless oaf. I feel bad for this woman to be stuck next to him on a plane flight. How annoying.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 09:55PM

That part wasn't surprising to me at all. In my mission, we were taught to interject religion into conversations like this, especially when talking about things like death. He saw an opening and he went for it, albeit a bit clumsily.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 06:39AM

Given that the plane was coming from Salt Lake City, he had a pretty fair chance that the deceased was LDS, so the question was less out of line than it otherwise would have been.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 04:46PM

Fabulous, this woman was brilliant.

Also, I agree with spaghetti oh, what an incredibly rude & intrusive thing to ask someone. Seriously?! Just another perfect example of how TBMS believe "sharing the gospel" entitles them to completely ignore the bounds of courtesy, good manners, good taste and personal privacy.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 09:21PM

I hope really good things come out of that conversation!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 09:35PM

That woman was very well informed about Mormonism.

The bishop espouses a view about homosexuals that he would never dream of imposing on heterosexuals -- "oh sorry, you can't marry, have sex, or have a family because even though God made you the way you are, somehow that displeases him."

Posted by: charles, not logged in ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 08:05AM

"Man: I’m not sure but that is the way things are now. These are really difficult things for us to figure out."

It's not "difficult" to figure out. It's difficult to hold two opposing ideas in one's head and not have it explode. They've already figured it out but the difficulty lies in letting go of the wrong idea.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 09:00AM

"Hi, do you have a moment to talk about how weird I am?"

Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 09:10AM

Bwahahaha!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.