Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 02:43PM

There must be other options out there for anti-virus/spam blocker software besides what comes with PC's (i.e., Norton). I'm so sick of all these pop-ups, it makes me miss my mac. What are some good alternatives? Are any of them free?

Thanks for any help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2013 07:42PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 02:45PM

Google AVG free. I use it, it's pretty good. Kaspersky is a really good one if you don't mind paying.

Posted by: INFO ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 02:47PM

My dad has a PC, & likes it a lot.

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 02:47PM

I use avast! and it's okay too

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 03:02PM

Go to http://download.cnet.com/windows/ then on the left select only free then search virus protection. AVG is good, Avast is good, Kaspersky is good, Iobit is good, there are a lot of really good free virus programs and if you download them from this site it is less risky than other sites because CNET has pretty good security.

Date: September 12, 2013 03:08PM

Ya'll are the best! Thank you!

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 03:08PM

I'm a fan of Nod32 myself, not free but it's lightweight so it doesn't bog down your system and it's worth the money IMHO.

That or go to Windows 8 and get a solid AV included.

Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 09:01PM

Hi,

I agree regarding ESET NOD32. Actually, I use ESET Smart Security (which includes NOD32) in my Windows 8 virtual machine because it's lightweight and unobtrusive. I haven't used Norton in years because it slows every system that it's installed on way down and gets in the way; it enslaves you, and then it makes you pay and pay!

All you really need is ESET Smart Security, assuming that you don't already have malware. The bet thing to do is to install it right after you've purchased a computer, or reinstalled the OS. Then, you'll be protected going forward, so long as ESET keeps auto-updating.

Nothing beats a Mac, though.

Also, I strongy recommend not using Internet Explorer as your web browser. Install and use Firefox (www.firefox.com) or Chrome. If you use Firefox, you can install the AdBlock Plus extension, which will eliminate ads. It's a wonderful thing.

Good Luck,

Steve

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 09:20PM

I have Mac two years and went to Win8. When I had a Mac, I was always running a Windows VM. Now that I am back to windows I don't have a Mac VM.

I liked the OS well enough, I just needed certain app support.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 05:12PM

Pop-up blocking is usually a function of the web browser. Speaking of web browsers, if you're using Internet Explorer, stop it. Use IE to download one of the many other safer and more secure browsers, like Firefox, Opera, or Chrome. The others have fewer bugs and are more secure. You can also manipulate them more easily by using the pull-down menus. You can put an end to pop-ups and all that by just using the pop-up blocker function. Do it now!

As far as anti-virus, AVG is free and effective. There are also free applications that clear out spyware, like SpyBot.

Posted by: bizquick ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 05:57PM

Before switching make sure you run the vendor's A/V removal tool, it can be a pain getting it off your machine. Sometimes uninstalling it from the Control Panel isn't enough.

Google "Microsoft Security Essentials". It is free if you have a valid copy of Windows running on your machine. It is not intrusive, and does a really good job.

AVG Free is a good option too.

Make sure you Microsoft updates are set to automatic and you are running the latest Service Pack. I would avoid IE as a Web browser. Instead I would recommend Firefox or Google Chrome with Ad-block Plus and Flash Block extentions installed. I haven't used Opera but have heard good things about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2013 05:59PM by bizquick.

Date: September 12, 2013 06:12PM

Yeah no worries, I haven't used IE in years. Am a Firefox user. Thanks for all of this advice!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 07:38PM

Consumers Reports magazine rated the free versions of both Avast and Avira higher than both Norto* Internet Security and McAfee Internet Security. CR feels that free programs are fine for most average users.

CR, June 2013

Not sure why, but the word Norto* is setting off the spam filter.

My computer tech added some anti-malware programs on my last computer, including Malwarebytes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2013 07:42PM by summer.

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 07:44PM

I have worked for a lot of companies online. Nearly all of them ask me to remove norton before I start lol. I guess they know something I don't.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 07:05PM

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 07:49PM

Pop up malware removal:

Restart computer and hit F7
Select safe mode with network
Down load free malware removal @
www.malwarebytes.com
Run the software
Check all the boxes in the window of found problems then proceed with the cleaning process.
Reboot and you will most likely be clean.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 09:41PM

I never use automatic updates. The last job I worked, the computers (PCs) would be useless the next day.

I've worked on PCs and Macs for years and for my money the Mac is the absolute best if you want worry free.

But most of my work has been in graphics and the PC just cannot keep up with a Mac. I have a Mac mini and Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc work so much better than on a PC.

Posted by: ethan ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 01:44AM

bitdefender

Posted by: jrutherchevy ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 02:17AM

I use Microsoft Security Essentials(free), run Chrome(free) with AdBlock(free) and ScriptSafe(free), and between those three things, I have no problems, and haven't for years. I run Malwarebytes(also free) every now and then to do a checkup, but I haven't had any issues, ever, with this setup.

ScriptSafe takes some getting used to if you're not familiar with how it works, but once you get the hang of what to allow and what not to allow in order to browse the internet, it becomes second nature. It's not for everyone, but if you're concerned about what you bump into as you surf, it's worth the small hassle.

Posted by: pathist ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 03:11PM

AVG or Avast. Both work wonderfully. Very seldomly, I have to install adaware for the odd file that gets through, but Ive been running Avast on all my systems for the past 5 years and have never had an issue with malicious software.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 05:52PM

Voting for Avast. Used it for years and with normal precautions, I've had no issues with viruses/trojans/worms, etc.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 07:04PM

It works great and I've never had a single problem with it.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 06:48PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antivirus_software

Effectiveness
Studies in December 2007 showed that the effectiveness of antivirus software had decreased in the previous year, particularly against unknown or zero day attacks. The computer magazine c't found that detection rates for these threats had dropped from 40-50% in 2006 to 20-30% in 2007. At that time, the only exception was the NOD32 antivirus, which managed a detection rate of 68 percent.[50]
The problem is magnified by the changing intent of virus authors. Some years ago it was obvious when a virus infection was present. The viruses of the day, written by amateurs, exhibited destructive behavior or pop-ups. Modern viruses are often written by professionals, financed by criminal organizations.[51]
Independent testing on all the major virus scanners consistently shows that none provide 100% virus detection. The best ones provided as high as 99.6% detection, while the lowest provided only 81.8% in tests conducted in February 2010. All virus scanners produce false positive results as well, identifying benign files as malware.[52]
Although methodologies may differ, some notable independent quality testing agencies include AV-Comparatives, ICSA Labs, West Coast Labs, Virus Bulletin, AV-TEST and other members of the Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organization.[53][54]

--------------------------

With that I don't think it matters much which will one you use, just use one. Preferably with a low system overhead.

Another option nobody has mentioned yet is dump Windows and use Linux. Works for me....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.