Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: September 07, 2013 07:31PM

Is this supposed to be faith promoting or what? This was posted to a facebook page by a TBM friend and it seems like some sort of attempt to appear tough...I don't know. I would like to hear your input.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tchappenings/25-reasons-why-mormon-men-are-the-toughest-sobs-o-7pqw

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: msp ( )
Date: September 07, 2013 08:08PM

I share your confusion.. It points out some of the major issues (regarding being a missionary, specifically #6-8) that started me on my way out of tscc. I can't really make a guess as to the intention here.
Further past the missionary stuff, #10-16 seems to poke fun at the horrors of living through a tbm life. Whether the author instead is trying to use humour to make things more bearable, is arguable.
#17 makes me want to say the whole thing's a joke. I haven't seen many "sculpted warriors" in my ward, at least.
And finally, #22-25 are interesting choices, for the most part. Porter Rockwell and Brigham Young have especially whitewashed histories in tscc. And also, isn't the rumour around that Steve Young has come out as being supportive of gay marriage?

So I'm calling Poe's Law on this. But goodness, this makes me so happy I left. Thanks for the laughs!

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: September 07, 2013 08:18PM

Not sure either, but 19 and 20 just make me sick that mormons buy into those lies, and think that "Mormons do more for charity than all other organizations in the world put together." [I've read/heard that one from TBMs a number of times.]

10 through 13 all seem to be making fun of the Cult (especially the picture for 13).

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 08:37AM

I agree on 23. Briggy certainly was a very bad ass.

Posted by: Extbm1324 ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 09:30AM

Excuse me while I throw up.

If you fit the mold perfectly, and do not have the brain power to deviate, following the mormon motions is fairly easy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 10:16AM

Hi Confused, I'm Stumbling.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 10:21AM

Basically it says Mormons take pride in doing stupid, foolish, useless crap.

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 11:10AM

Number 20 makes me sick - First ones to Katrina my ass. Didn't see anyone except National Guard around here for several months after Aug 29, 2005. Can't say I ever even saw any of those miserable yellow shirts until the 9th ward 'media' blitz hit.

Date: September 09, 2013 11:17AM

President Hinckley visited after Katrina and the first thing he said to impacted members was "pay your tithing".

No. I'm not kidding.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 11:18AM

During the Calgary flood the stake set up a website to give guidance to members wanting to assist. The first thing it said was along the lines of "hold tight, our order for yellow shirts is on its way, then we'll get to work."

Date: September 09, 2013 11:19AM

You are f******* kidding me....?

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 11:21AM

I wish I was. I did a lot during the flood but I refused to do one thing that would give TSCC any PR. I went with the biblical concept of doing my good deeds anonymously.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 01:55PM

I agree. I feel weird if people know when I am helping others.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.